Velvet/Brook/Ich... stupid question

stcroixohana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I responsibly introduced to fish without quarantining from a big box pet shop, naturally, within days everyone was sick breathing heavy and showing what appeared originally to be ick but then seemed to manifest itself as either brook or velvet. The last one clownfish and one coral beauty I treated a sailfin tang, filefish, and clown in Cupramine for 5 days but the API test kit wasn't showing readings and I had way overdose so I moved them back into my DP.
Since, my community had blue been showing signs of any infection or parasite (2 weeks) but I'm planning to move everyone into a 90g that's been fallow for 2 months and, of course, want to leave bacteria and parasites behind.
My tank currently houses
1 dragonet, 1 lawnmower, 1 sailfin tang, 1 filefish, 1 spotted hawk, 1 PJ cardinal.
The 3 mentioned above were treated, I lost the clown in the process.
So.....
Can Brook or velvet magically disappear ? I ask given that no other inhabitants showed symptoms and now everyone seems in perfectly good health, not afraid of the light, eating regularly, and just generally pretty harmonious.
I intend to remove the Rock as I've already removed the inverts and do a full copper treatment before moving everyone into this new tank but I guess the question really is: can these bacterial issues simply run their course? Or should I expect them to reappear at some point as I'm trying to schedule the copper responsibly as I'm waiting on a Hanna tester to come in the mail before dosing again.
Any insights appreciated, thanks

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because fish do not show symptoms does not mean it is not in your tank. If you want to completely eliminate it I would: treat the fish for 30 days with copper at a therapeutic level (get a better test kit), and move all rock and inverts to the new tank while the fish are being treated. Make sure to leave the new tank fishless for at least 45 days to starve out any parasites living on the rock or coral.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I responsibly introduced to fish without quarantining from a big box pet shop, naturally, within days everyone was sick breathing heavy and showing what appeared originally to be ick but then seemed to manifest itself as either brook or velvet. The last one clownfish and one coral beauty I treated a sailfin tang, filefish, and clown in Cupramine for 5 days but the API test kit wasn't showing readings and I had way overdose so I moved them back into my DP.
Since, my community had blue been showing signs of any infection or parasite (2 weeks) but I'm planning to move everyone into a 90g that's been fallow for 2 months and, of course, want to leave bacteria and parasites behind.
My tank currently houses
1 dragonet, 1 lawnmower, 1 sailfin tang, 1 filefish, 1 spotted hawk, 1 PJ cardinal.
The 3 mentioned above were treated, I lost the clown in the process.
So.....
Can Brook or velvet magically disappear ? I ask given that no other inhabitants showed symptoms and now everyone seems in perfectly good health, not afraid of the light, eating regularly, and just generally pretty harmonious.
I intend to remove the Rock as I've already removed the inverts and do a full copper treatment before moving everyone into this new tank but I guess the question really is: can these bacterial issues simply run their course? Or should I expect them to reappear at some point as I'm trying to schedule the copper responsibly as I'm waiting on a Hanna tester to come in the mail before dosing again.
Any insights appreciated, thanks
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Im concerned that the five days of copper isn’t enough to completely break the life cycle. I typically suggest 30 days, but some people do 24. The 5 days may have knocked the parasites back, but they could start back up again.

I doubt you have Brooklynella as that doesn’t respond well to copper. My guess is you have ich, and it got fairly advanced, mimicking symptoms of velvet.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back