Velvet? brook? not sure, help please!

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m fairly new to keep saltwater fish and it’s been a struggle. I have a biocube 32 with 1 2” coral beauty and 2 clowns. (It’s my QT tank) I’m trying to do everything as perfect as I can and I have done a lot of research. I’m in Canada and medications are banned which is a complete joke. I have a bottle of rally pro and kick-ich (which I’ve read is useless anyways) anyways I’m wondering if someone could help me to diagnose this clown. The male clown doesn’t appear to have any white spots I think my coral beauty maybe had a couple tiny specs but can’t really see any at the moment. The clowns both eat pellets as long as they are dropped in the corner they hang out in. Also they also swim vertically in the corner of the tank and I’ve yet to see them really swim around and it’s been 2 weeks since I’ve had them. Tank is cycled and about 2 months old. Used all existing live rock when I set it up.
A53309D2-174B-4F1C-AAA9-DFAA6119E2FC.jpeg
A53309D2-174B-4F1C-AAA9-DFAA6119E2FC.jpeg
568BC39B-81F0-4867-9BF2-A8273B9C496C.jpeg
076A1C0F-1980-48E4-9651-49B6F22F9B9D.jpeg

OP
OP
Ribo15

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doses some of the rally pro to the tank to try and help. But I am not sure if a TTM would help? I read Humblefish post saying that if done according to his schedule it can treat velvet as well I just don’t know how to tell what to do. The fish has had the spots for a few days already it is slowly getting worse but not “exploding”

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's tough on you folks in Canada, but let's work with what you have.

If none of symptoms posted above ^^^ are showing, you're probably dealing with "Early Stage" Brooklynella. It can appear similarly to velvet and ich in the early stages. And you mentioned that it was "slowly" getting worse. So again, probably Brook as it works a bit slower than velvet.

First doing multiple freshwater dips over a few days can remove parasites. But you have to place the fish into a fresh clean QT after each dip.

Adding to the above, immediately after the dip you can give the fish a 90 minute bath in the RRR that you have on hand. Then into the fresh clean QT.

OP
OP
Ribo15

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not appear to be hiding from light or swimming into a strong current anywhere. The breathing is a little increased but doesn’t appear to be very laboured. Just little faster than normal I’d say. I tried a freshwater dip last night and did it as recommended. Temp was exact same and used RODI water. I freaked out after only about 2 minutes and put him back in the tank. A couple times he jumped out of the water and didn’t appear to be enjoying the dip at all. Is that cause for concern or just leave him in for the whole 5 minutes? Should I dip my small male also if he isn’t showing symptoms anyways? Do large water changes help at all? I added some RRR to my tank last night in desperation. Only 1.5 tablespoon for the 30 gallon system. My UV and skimmer are off now because of that.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has Brook symptoms showing, the other should be assumed even if it's not showing yet. The spots are a reaction "after" the parasites have attacked.

Use a container tall enough to prevent jumpers as it's pretty common for fish to freak out at first when doing the freshwater dip. They usually calm down and need to be in for at least 3 minutes but better for 5 for the dip to do it's work.

OP
OP
Ribo15

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome, I will give another dip tonight and do a 10 gallon water change. This time I will wait the full 5 minutes. Thanks for all the advice.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome, I will give another dip tonight and do a 10 gallon water change. This time I will wait the full 5 minutes. Thanks for all the advice.
Much better to do the dip and then bath in RRR and then return the fish to a fresh, clean, and parasite free tank. Best of luck. Let us know how the fish are doing ;)

OP
OP
Ribo15

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the one fresh water dip and being placed back in the same tank the clown is looking much better. Still some signs of the parasite (most likely Brook) I am going to give another fresh water dip and the RRR bath today and hopefully he is 100% in a few days. Another question now is if in a week she is not showing any signs of disease and the other 2 fish also haven’t showed any signs would it be safe to assume I can then add them to my DT?

OP
OP
Ribo15

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks. I have learned quickly in this hobby don’t cheat the timelines.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back