Velvet? Experts only please

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the story. I picked up a scopus tang about a month ago. I didn't QT and put him directly in my DT. After a few days I decided it wasn't for me so I put him in my QT. A few days later I changed my mind again and put him back in my DT. I had him in the DT for about 24 hours. I didn't notice any spots on him but he wasn't eating and had clamped fins so I took him out. After observing him back in the QT, I noticed what looked like velvet on his fins. Within 24 hours he was dead. I had assumed he brought velvet to my tank so I got started on taking everything out. The first 2 fish I put in the QT were a bi color blenny and a royal gramma. They both looked ok at first but within 48 hrs they were dead with white stuff all over them. I was also able to get out a hippo and 2 clowns all which seemed fine. I placed those in a separate QT and started copper.

1 fish I was unable to catch was an algae blenny. It has now been over 2 weeks since this debacle and he's still fine with no symptoms. I also added a yellow tang to the DT 7 days ago and it has been totally fine.

The question is, do you think this was velvet and if it was could this infected fish been in my DT for 24 hrs without infecting it?

I'm thinking about just adding the other fish back in as I'm not a big fan of QTing as I feel they are far healthier in the DT.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but wondering why you would add another fish (yellow tang) to a DT that you suspect might be suffering a velvet outbreak?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
velvet or it could also have been lympho in which lympho would go away with good water quality and diet. The Lymphocystis nodules are clustered groups of greatly enlarged, infected cells known as fibroblasts. It is usually found on the fish skin and fins. After residing on its host for 3-4 weeks or more, the Lymphocystis cells rupture or fall off the host, spreading the infected cells in the water. The cells then either sink to the bottom of the tank and lie dormant or reattach to another host via a break in the skin or fins, or in the gills.
I would recommend to treat tank with formalin or even ruby rally pro which is reef safe and provide good diet for overall health and immunity system health.
Diet:
At minimum, feed . . . . .

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS herbivore diet
Tetra medicated flake

Add sekcon vitamin and alternating wit garlic extract 2-3X per week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but wondering why you would add another fish (yellow tang) to a DT that you suspect might be suffering a velvet outbreak?

At that point I was pretty convinced my display didn't get infected with velvet as the algae blenny had been doing fine. I put him in to see if he would get anything and if he did, I would treat him right away.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
velvet or it could also have been lympho in which lympho would go away with good water quality and diet. The Lymphocystis nodules are clustered groups of greatly enlarged, infected cells known as fibroblasts. It is usually found on the fish skin and fins. After residing on its host for 3-4 weeks or more, the Lymphocystis cells rupture or fall off the host, spreading the infected cells in the water. The cells then either sink to the bottom of the tank and lie dormant or reattach to another host via a break in the skin or fins, or in the gills.
I would recommend to treat tank with formalin or even ruby rally pro which is reef safe and provide good diet for overall health and immunity system health.
Diet:
At minimum, feed . . . . .

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS herbivore diet
Tetra medicated flake

Add sekcon vitamin and alternating wit garlic extract 2-3X per week
Thanks. I've had lympho in the past and it didn't look like it. I've also had ich, velvet, brook, pretty much everything at some point so I know pretty well what things look like and this looked like velvet or possibly brook.

As far as I see it its one of the following options. 1. scopus had velvet, infected my DT and my algae blenny is immune and the yellow didn't get visibly affected yet. 2. Scopus had velvet, didn't drop anything off in the DT. 3. Scopus had brook and in the small QT, the brook spread to the other fish. 4. I have no clue lol.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the story. I picked up a scopus tang about a month ago. I didn't QT and put him directly in my DT. After a few days I decided it wasn't for me so I put him in my QT. A few days later I changed my mind again and put him back in my DT. I had him in the DT for about 24 hours. I didn't notice any spots on him but he wasn't eating and had clamped fins so I took him out. After observing him back in the QT, I noticed what looked like velvet on his fins. Within 24 hours he was dead. I had assumed he brought velvet to my tank so I got started on taking everything out. The first 2 fish I put in the QT were a bi color blenny and a royal gramma. They both looked ok at first but within 48 hrs they were dead with white stuff all over them. I was also able to get out a hippo and 2 clowns all which seemed fine. I placed those in a separate QT and started copper.

1 fish I was unable to catch was an algae blenny. It has now been over 2 weeks since this debacle and he's still fine with no symptoms. I also added a yellow tang to the DT 7 days ago and it has been totally fine.

The question is, do you think this was velvet and if it was could this infected fish been in my DT for 24 hrs without infecting it?

I'm thinking about just adding the other fish back in as I'm not a big fan of QTing as I feel they are far healthier in the DT.
One symptom I didn't see you mention was rapid breathing. The first, and sometimes only symptom you see with Amyloodinium (velvet) is rapid breathing. It is sometimes missed because "rapid" is a relative term, and you have to look closely, but any respiration rate above 120 beats per minute in a tang would get me nervous and over 150 would be definitive for gill disease. If the fish were breathing slower than 100, I doubt it was velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One symptom I didn't see you mention was rapid breathing. The first, and sometimes only symptom you see with Amyloodinium (velvet) is rapid breathing. It is sometimes missed because "rapid" is a relative term, and you have to look closely, but any respiration rate above 120 beats per minute in a tang would get me nervous and over 150 would be definitive for gill disease. If the fish were breathing slower than 100, I doubt it was velvet.

Jay
Thanks. I wasn't paying attention to that on the scopus but the algae blenny and yellow are breathing fine so far

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back