Velvet: First Time Treating, Need Long Term Plan

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Apologies if this is long. There's a lot of moving parts.

I have a 210 DT thats broken out in velvet. Residents were a 5" hippo tang, 3.5" purple tang, 2" yellow tang and my QT had 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny that I've had for about 2 weeks. Yellow and purple get along, blue and purple still flash at each other from time to time as they're working out the pecking order.

Fish are currently out of the DT and in hospital tanks. I know the smaller sizes aren't ideal but I'm doing what I can.
13g - Hippo Tang treating with Cupramine
10g - Purple Tang treating with Cupramine
16g - Yellow Tang, 2 clowns and lawnmower blenny. Yellow was least severe and had a small cut so treating with Paraguard.
210g - Running fallow with all my corals

I also have a 55g that was freshwater that I'm currently cleaning out and prepping for saltwater. I'm planning to run treatment in the current tanks for 14 days but then I'm wondering what the next best steps are. Do I move just one into the 55g (ideally the hippo due to size)? Do I treat the 55g with anything or leave it as a clean observation tank?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality and a low stress environment for the two biggest fish would be my concern. I'd consider using the 55 for those two. But to keep conflict down, I'd be prepared to separate the two in that tank with some eggcrate.

Wrap the back and both end walls with dark paper.
Add some PVC fittings and some plastic aquarium plants.
And a small amount of sand to the bottom.
A small powerhead aimed up at the surface so it's actively rippling the water's surface.
A HOB or two with the foam pad soaked in something like BioSpira and a mesh bag of ceramic media like Matrix or BioMax that has also been soaked. And a foam bubble filter that the pad has also been soaked.
Ammonia Alert Badge too.

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality and a low stress environment for the two biggest fish would be my concern. I'd consider using the 55 for those two. But to keep conflict down, I'd be prepared to separate the two in that tank with some eggcrate.

Wrap the back and both end walls with dark paper.
Add some PVC fittings and some plastic aquarium plants.
And a small amount of sand to the bottom.
A small powerhead aimed up at the surface so it's actively rippling the water's surface.
A HOB or two with the foam pad soaked in something like BioSpira and a mesh bag of ceramic media like Matrix or BioMax that has also been soaked. And a foam bubble filter that the pad has also been soaked.
Ammonia Alert Badge too.

Thank you. They all currently have PVC and ammonia badges in their current hospital tanks. Is there a point that they should be in non-treated water post being medicated? I was originally thinking to add them to the 55g post treatment. I'm also a little wary of moving them if its not necessary. I'm fallowing the DT. Just trying to make sure I'm doing the best I can by them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That's what I assumed for the 55. A clean fresh sterile QT to observation. Hippos are very prone to stress and its deleterious effects and to be avoided as much as possible.

I've used the above setup many times with excellent results. ;)

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That's what I assumed for the 55. A clean fresh sterile QT to observation. Hippos are very prone to stress and its deleterious effects and to be avoided as much as possible.

I've used the above setup many times with excellent results. ;)

Thank you. I will continue their treatment in the current tanks and then transfer them to the 55g for observation.

Back