Velvet - how long can it stay in hidden?

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Velvet in my tank. A Bristletooth tang died over the weekend and one of my clowns is pretty heavily infected. The tang was consistently swimming into the powerhead, which was my first clue, then I noticed it rubbing against the sand, and then the white spots maybe a day later.

I have now been following @Humblefish awesome guide for treatment: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

My question is - how long can Velvet lurk unidentified in the tank?

The Tang was my latest addition. I got it on 16th May, quarantined for about 20 days, then in the main tank until I saw the first symptoms on about 13th.
So that was at least 4 weeks before I noticed symptoms. Is that strange, or not? Could there be something else that somehow introduced it to the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been simmering in the tang. Did you treat the tang during quarantine? A 30 day copper treatment followed by two prazi treatments would be the minimum I would use, and that takes you out 45 days, and that will usually clear velvet, but some people will wait even longer.
Jay

OP
OP
M

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been simmering in the tang. Did you treat the tang during quarantine? A 30 day copper treatment followed by two prazi treatments would be the minimum I would use, and that takes you out 45 days, and that will usually clear velvet, but some people will wait even longer.
Jay
No, did not treat it in QT. Just observed. It was swimming, eating and seemed comfortable.

Ok, thanks @Jay Hemdal

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back