Velvet in QT

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in process of ramping up CP to 2.0ppm in my qt when a velvet outbreak took place. Already lost a copperband and golden wrasse, and have an 8 line in really bad shape. This morning decided forgoing the long ramp up because of wrasses and get CP to a therapeutic level. I followed humblefish's process for the 8 line giving it a FW and formalin bath (30 min), then back to QT. My question is what this fish's chances? It's just laying on it's side breathing extremely heavy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in process of ramping up CP to 2.0ppm in my qt when a velvet outbreak took place. Already lost a copperband and golden wrasse, and have an 8 line in really bad shape. This morning decided forgoing the long ramp up because of wrasses and get CP to a therapeutic level. I followed humblefish's process for the 8 line giving it a FW and formalin bath (30 min), then back to QT. My question is what this fish's chances? It's just laying on it's side breathing extremely heavy.
Tough to say, but generally when a fish goes down due to velvet, copper won’t act fast enough to bounce them back. The dip may have bought you some more time though, fingers crossed!

I wish this “slow ramp up” idea for copper hasn’t gotten so firmly entrenched, I see way too many fish developing issues during the ramp up period. I never do that, I dose 100% copper all at once (I do know the exact volumes of all my systems though). If Im unsure about volume, I’ll do a half dose, test a few hours later and adjust for the second partial dose.
I haven’t seen any copper toxicity in my fish since I stopped using copper/citric acid about 15 years ago. IMO issues with copper that people see are from dosing too late, ramping up too slow, using a poor test kit, and using reducing agents like ammonia removers.
Jay

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish this “slow ramp up” idea for copper hasn’t gotten so firmly entrenched, I see way too many fish developing issues during the ramp up period.
I won't do ramp up slowly any longer, def changing my process on this one. Lost the eight line right after I posted this. Other four fish in QT now in 2.0ppm CP. We shall see if it spreads to these four. So far, all still eating fairly well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a side affect caused by the velvet outbreak? Concerned its a spinal injury.
currently lubbock is in 2.0ppm CP and started Kanaplex today. This has been its swimming behavior since yesterday after I noticed velvet on it.
today I also gave all the fish in qt a ruby reef 90 min bath, all my other fish responded really well, but did not help the Lubbock.

Attachments

• IMG_8683.MOV
    20.4 MB
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a side affect caused by the velvet outbreak? Concerned its a spinal injury.
currently lubbock is in 2.0ppm CP and started Kanaplex today. This has been its swimming behavior since yesterday after I noticed velvet on it.
today I also gave all the fish in qt a ruby reef 90 min bath, all my other fish responded really well, but did not help the Lubbock.
Is the wrasse still eating? There is a syndrome common in these wrasse where they seem to be suffering from a spinal injury, but there is no smashed up face that should go along with that. It seems that they develop a neurological issue that mimics a spinal injury, but it isn't caused by a physical injury, could be bacterial or viral, nobody knows. However the key symptom of this is the fish swims oddly, but still tries to eat.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This yes, tries but just can’t get to the food.
I wish I had a treatment to recommend for that issue, but it seems untreatable and progressive. I’ve only had a couple of cases myself, but have heard of many more cases here.
Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to give it a few days if it is still eating - I'd hate to be wrong about it!

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to give it a few days if it is still eating - I'd hate to be wrong about it!

Jay
Thank you, but I put it down already. It was getting worse to a point last night it was swimming upside down. I really couldn't watch it suffer any longer trying to swim and eat.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back