Velvet in tank.. starting QT - need help

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this all started with the intro of our new blue hippo tang.. she came in and within a week started showing ich-like symptoms and quickly the powder brown and yellow tang go them too. We started treating the tank with PolypLab's Medic at 4 scoops per dose. Within a week the powder brown started looking way worse - with so many spots and some areas the spots looked like clusters. He wasn't moving as well as he normally did but still ate.. however he ended up passing shortly after. The next death was our mandarin a few days later.. he didn't seem ill to me but my fiance said she thought she noticed a few specs of white on his fins. He was eating well too but sadly he perished but like I said he didn't look ill. Then this weekend, our eldest member, Nemo (my 8yr old, then 6 year old, named the clown lol) passed away Saturday. Around the time the mandarin died, I noticed this guy looking like he was coated with something.. he looked a little lighter or like he had a film on him. The fins were also kind of tattered. Late Friday and early Saturday he looked like he was very lethargic and would even lay on the sand bed some times. His appetite had not been the same for a few days too. When I noticed his symptoms, I also noticed one of our designer Frostbite clowns didn't quite look the same either. The white scales had patchy areas around the dorsal and he would hide in the shadows a lot. His appetite wasn't quite the same either. He passed on Sunday after Nemo passed the day before. So in the span of a little over a week, we lost a powder brown, a mandarin, and two clowns. The live-stock that's survived so far are: Melanurus wrasse, flame hawk fish, fox face, yellow tang, one frostbite clown, one chromis, and the one who I think brought this all in, the blue hippo tang.

My fiance and I broke down our 20g AIO peninsula last night to turn it into a QT tank. We cleaned the tank out completely - taking out all sand and rock. We cleaned every equipment and mixed new salt. So now we have fresh salt water (35.0ppt), a pump, a wave pump and a heater. I need to get a filter sock, pvc pipes, air stone/pump, ammonia detector, copper (Looking for chelated copper), and a tester (probably Hanna). We think we know what we need to do - so here's the plan:

Remove all fish from DT (Reefer 350) and put into QT (IM 20 peninsula)
Run DT fallow for 80 days (there are a few pieces of coral and inverts in DT)
Run chelated copper in QT at 1.5-2.0 ppm for 30 days (slowly ramp up to therapeutic levels over 7 days)
Remove copper from QT via water changes (full tank) and activated carbon
Observe livestock in QT until fallow period of DT is done
Transfer fish into DT one by one over a few weeks - starting with smallest less aggressive fish

Does this all sound okay? I have a few questions still and would be so grateful if anyone can address these:

-During fallow of DT, would it be okay to introduce new rock work or change aquascape? I figured it would be easier with all the fish out.
-Should I continue running my skimmer and refugium in the DT? I know i'll be ghost-feeding so I would imagine filtration should stay the same? (I need to mention I am also experiencing a ULN issue now that had caused cyano and then dino.. 0.02ppm PO4 and almost 0 NO3)
-I'm choosing chelated copper because I have a melanurus wrasse - is this the right choice? Should he be able to withstand the therapeutic levels of copper along with his tank mates for 30 days?
-I'll have a tupperware filled with sand for the melanurus. Would this be an issue with the copper?
-I have some small pieces of Bio-Lux ceramic media - is this okay to keep in the QT with the copper treatment?

I know this is a long post so I am very sorry for that. We're just extremely nervous for our surviving livestock and we have never set up a QT before. Going forward we'll be QTing every fish - we just need to get past this current situation.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me but if Velvet May need to ramp copper faster. Velvet kills quick. Also what you described on clowns sounds more like brookkynella but treatment is same. (I believe). You can change scale in DT but I would not add anything wet

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. The #reefsquad might give you some advise.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Its very hard to go through this... I know.

Sounds like something sinister such as brook or velvet. You really need to make sure you diagnose the correct issue here so you can administer the appropriate medications in the QT. Based on this description " I noticed this guy looking like he was coated with something.. he looked a little lighter or like he had a film on him." does sound more like brook to me.

Can you take pictures of remaining livestock and post?

Also check out these threads to help identify what you're seeing first hand.

In regards to your questions see my answer below in bold.

-During fallow of DT, would it be okay to introduce new rock work or change aquascape? I figured it would be easier with all the fish out. Yes you can its a great time to do so... However, anything new added to your scape will restart the fallow period which is 6 weeks minimum for brook and velvet.

-Should I continue running my skimmer and refugium in the DT? I know i'll be ghost-feeding so I would imagine filtration should stay the same? (I need to mention I am also experiencing a ULN issue now that had caused cyano and then dino.. 0.02ppm PO4 and almost 0 NO3). Continue to ghost feed or direct feed any corals or inverts you have with coral food, reef roids, etc.. Need to keep feeding beneficial bacteria.

-I'm choosing chelated copper because I have a melanurus wrasse - is this the right choice? Should he be able to withstand the therapeutic levels of copper along with his tank mates for 30 days? Yes that the best option if you're dealing with velvet.

-I'll have a tupperware filled with sand for the melanurus. Would this be an issue with the copper? No it is not an issue but does slightly affect the absorption rate of the copper. Read this thread by @Humblefish for more details.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/go-ahead-and-use-sand-in-qt.653981/

-I have some small pieces of Bio-Lux ceramic media - is this okay to keep in the QT with the copper treatment? Yes totally okay! You definitely need a place for beneficial bacteria to thrive in QT and there isn't a lot of porous areas in QT in general.

OP
OP
RomoFL

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you pathot984! I’ll check out those articles. Yes the clowns that died did look like brook now that I see photos of it. I do have a photo of the designer clown that passed but not of the orange clownfish which was easier to see the film.

2E91213C-5BF4-40E4-9F0E-712ADD48DEAD.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from the photo is does look like brook. Do any of your fish have any of the sign of velvet when you reviewed the thread? Spots, light velvet dusting, swimming towards the powerhead, etc..? May be post pictures of fish currently that have visible signs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RomoFL

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one that looks kind of sick is the blue hippo.. and he's been that way since the 2nd week he got in the tank.. with varying degrees of sickness. He's eating some and doesn't seem lethargic. He's been swimming toward the overflow but not against a powerhead. I'll see if I can take pics after work. Everyone else looks okay so far. *Crosses fingers*

[edit] the reason I think velvet is because after I researched ich, and saw photos of a powder brown like mine with velvet, it looked exactly the same. Totally covered with it and some spots looked like clumps of it.. not just specks here and there. And that was a little over a week ago.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes I'd purchase a bottle of ruby reef rally and bathe all fish for 90 minutes prior to adding to QT to address the possibility of brook and it helps with velvet.

Read this thread.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally is an excellent bath for sick fish, and much less stressful than a freshwater dip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back