Velvet or Ich and how to treat?

Firstreef20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rally dip alone won't cure velvet (Amyloodinium). It is used to just get a jump start on the disease progression. You need to eliminate the dinospores from the tank itself, else the fish will continue to get reinfected when you return them to the tank. If you have fish and invertebrates mixed, there isn't a good solution other than moving the fish out, treating them there, and then letting your invertebrates live in a fishless tank (no disease host) for a period of time so the diseases die out. A FW dip, moving to a clean quarantine tank and then dosing with copper is the best course of action. If you truly have velvet, you need to act very quickly, as this disease kills rapidly. Velvet is fairly rare, and many people confuse it with late stage marine ich though.

Jay
My question is what is the process to do a bath on rally, I know that doesn't solve the problem but it is part of the process to eradicate the problem.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what is the process to do a bath on rally, I know that doesn't solve the problem but it is part of the process to eradicate the problem.
Using Rally Pro as a bath is "off label" use. The instructions only give the 24 hour dose of 1 oz. per 10 gallons in saltwater.

Generally, medications can be used at 3x the normal 24 hour dose for a 1 hour bath, but that isn't universal.

Jay

OP
OP
thedraque

thedraque

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rally dip alone won't cure velvet (Amyloodinium). It is used to just get a jump start on the disease progression. You need to eliminate the dinospores from the tank itself, else the fish will continue to get reinfected when you return them to the tank. If you have fish and invertebrates mixed, there isn't a good solution other than moving the fish out, treating them there, and then letting your invertebrates live in a fishless tank (no disease host) for a period of time so the diseases die out. A FW dip, moving to a clean quarantine tank and then dosing with copper is the best course of action. If you truly have velvet, you need to act very quickly, as this disease kills rapidly. Velvet is fairly rare, and many people confuse it with late stage marine ich though.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks to all your helpful advice both of the fish seem healthy and happy, no more spots and they are both eating well.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP's first post was Nov 3.
I thought Velvet would kill in just 2 or 3 days, if so, it wasnt velvet.
A velvet infected fish would not have lasted till late November.
Am I Right or wrong.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP's first post was Nov 3.
I thought Velvet would kill in just 2 or 3 days, if so, it wasnt velvet.
A velvet infected fish would not have lasted till late November.
Am I Right or wrong.

This post went sideways with some other discussions. As best as I could determine based on the normal breathing, this was advanced ich, not velvet.

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back