Velvet or ich?

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had to deal with velvet and have only had to deal with ich once. My male clown has a bunch of tiny spots and im not sure which it is. They are not perfectly round, more oval and lopsided. They are a fuzzy, white color. I have had them for 4 days now and they just started showing symptoms yesterday. They are currently in QT
DSC_6435.JPG
DSC_6414.JPG
DSC_6445.JPG
DSC_6419.JPG

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the start of brooklynella. I'd start a copper treatment now. Don't wait.Google Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get Acriflavine from?

you can find it in Ruby reef rally or acriflavin ms. You may have to order either one. I agree that this could be the start of brook. the treatment for velvet that ngoodermuth posted will treat both brook and velvet especially if metroplex is run in conjunction with the CP or copper. Of course, brook is always the first suspect with new clownfish. Luckily this treatment plan will address both.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find it in Ruby reef rally or acriflavin ms. You may have to order either one. I agree that this could be the start of brook. the treatment for velvet that ngoodermuth posted will treat both brook and velvet especially if metroplex is run in conjunction with the CP or copper. Of course, brook is always the first suspect with new clownfish. Luckily this treatment plan will address both.

Ok
It would take four-five days to get here...
Keep freshwater dipping?

I have metroplex, paraguard, focus, prazi, methyline blue, and malachite green on hand.
I can get CP from my lfs

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
It would take four-five days to get here...
Keep freshwater dipping?

I have metroplex, paraguard, focus, prazi, methyline blue, and malachite green on hand.
I can get CP from my lfs

You don't want to do daily freshwater dips. If you can get Quick Cure from your LFS, that has formalin in it. You can use it in place of the acriflavin, though it doesn't have the antiseptic properties that acriflavin has, it will treat the brook and/or velvet on the fish before placing them into QT. I also wouldn't try CP you get from the LFS. For it to be trustworthy it should come from a pharmacy so you know it's purity and know that it will be effective.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to do daily freshwater dips. If you can get Quick Cure from your LFS, that has formalin in it. You can use it in place of the acriflavin, though it doesn't have the antiseptic properties that acriflavin has, it will treat the brook and/or velvet on the fish before placing them into QT. I also wouldn't try CP you get from the LFS. For it to be trustworthy it should come from a pharmacy so you know it's purity and know that it will be effective.

Ok, ill pick up some formalin. What are some good places to get CP from? Do they sell it at any pharmacy? Sorry about the vague questions. I am in a rush to get somewhere and don't have much time to research.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before posting this thread I did a 3 min fw dip. I just came home and most of the spots have disappeared. Velvet?

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs has formalin MS.
Would that work?

Also, I forgot to mention in the first post that they are reluctant to eat.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before posting this thread I did a 3 min fw dip. I just came home and most of the spots have disappeared. Velvet?

Probably, but it could still be brook...they will be back. I would still do the formalin dip followed by copper or cp /metroplex.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from my local vet.
They said that they couldn't prescribe any to me.

I guess ill try another vet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from my local vet.
They said that they couldn't prescribe any to me.

I guess ill try another vet.

you are likely to have trouble finding a vet that will write the scrip. You might print out the information in the CP thread to take to the vets to read.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed out a bunch of articles but none of them could get it for me.
There is an aquatic vet in santa cruz that said they might be able to. They said they would call back. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I might as well use copper seeing that velvet kills fast and I really dont want to lose these clowns.

Im at a loss

Back