Ill get a better one tomorrow morning

image.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you're right it looks like it's right between the two but I'd try to bump it up a little bit more to get it to .5.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit - nevermind, they are chowing on pellet and nutramar ova.
Turns out they don't like other frozen foods.
They are also sticking to the bottom of the tank swimming together. Acting scared.

How long should they stay in the copper tank?
Does the time start once it reaches therapeutic levels or after the initial dose?
Ive read anywhere from 15-30 days.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should they stay in the copper tank?
Does the time start once it reaches therapeutic levels or after the initial dose?
Ive read anywhere from 15-30 days.

It's 30 days once it reaches therapeutic levels. If the level drops below therapeutic for any length of time, the clock starts over.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More spots have come up since the fw/formalin dip.
Looks even worse than before.
I reached therapeutic levels this morning. I think I brought it up too slow. I bought acriflavine ms so should I do another fw/acriflavine dip?
Ill post pictures of the color card in a few minutes.
Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are still swimming and eating, then let the copper do it's job. If they are having a hard time breathing and being lethargic then another acriflavin dip OR a freshwater dip is a good idea. Don't do both, just one or the other.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is looking a lot better, but the female has developed little blotches that don't look like the rest. I can try to get a picture when I get back.
I do have acriflavin and formalin on hand now.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondary infections are common after a velvet outbreak. Adding kanaplex to the QT might help ward off infection. If the female has blotches, an acriflavine bath for her would help slow down any infection that could be developing.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change today since I was seeing some ammonia.
Copper has stayed consistent at .45-.50.
Both of the clowns are looking great.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks ok. Don't add any more until your next waterchange, and maybe cut back a little then test the bucket before adding to the QT and adjust your dosage if needed.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading up on the velvet treatment forum I see that if I have another clean tank to transfer them to I can keep them in the copper for only 14 days.
I do have a 20 gallon tank that I can move them too. I'll throw some cycled rock from my DT.

Here is the thread
As mentioned in “The short version”, if you only have one QT to work with leave the fish in CP or copper for one month before performing water changes/running carbon. This will ensure the fish has been protected from reinfection before removing the medication. However, if you can transfer the fish to a non-medicated holding tank (at least 10 feet away from the QT) for observation then you may do so just 10-14 days after CP/copper treatment has begun. So long as therapeutic levels were continuously maintained for the 10-14 day period. Transfer nothing but the fish, and even as little water as possible with the fish (like doing Tank Transfer Method). DO NOT lower the CP or copper level before transferring, as that is “the shield” protecting the fish from reinfection. Once transferred, your fish should have a “clean slate” in his new environment and have left behind all the velvet problems in the QT. Observe for at least 2 weeks before declaring your fish to be velvet free!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading up on the velvet treatment forum I see that if I have another clean tank to transfer them to I can keep them in the copper for only 14 days.
I do have a 20 gallon tank that I can move them too. I'll throw some cycled rock from my DT.

Here is the thread
As mentioned in “The short version”, if you only have one QT to work with leave the fish in CP or copper for one month before performing water changes/running carbon. This will ensure the fish has been protected from reinfection before removing the medication. However, if you can transfer the fish to a non-medicated holding tank (at least 10 feet away from the QT) for observation then you may do so just 10-14 days after CP/copper treatment has begun. So long as therapeutic levels were continuously maintained for the 10-14 day period. Transfer nothing but the fish, and even as little water as possible with the fish (like doing Tank Transfer Method). DO NOT lower the CP or copper level before transferring, as that is “the shield” protecting the fish from reinfection. Once transferred, your fish should have a “clean slate” in his new environment and have left behind all the velvet problems in the QT. Observe for at least 2 weeks before declaring your fish to be velvet free!
This method is theoretically possible but requires absolutely NO human error at all. No cross contamination, 100% therapeutic dose tested every day (your clock restarts if it's a hair below .5), etc. I've never successfully used 14 days but I'm sure it can be done.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method is theoretically possible but requires absolutely NO human error at all. No cross contamination, 100% therapeutic dose tested every day (your clock restarts if it's a hair below .5), etc. I've never successfully used 14 days but I'm sure it can be done.

Ok, I'll stick to the 30 days then.
Would I still need to observe for two weeks after that?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll stick to the 30 days then.
You should still test every day and all of those things are still true but there's a small margin for error, still do your best to prevent.

Good luck though, whichever you choose!

I'd love to hear someone successfully doing the 14 day method (other than humble and melyphr haha).

Back