Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy.
looking for Id. Velvet?

young tank. 6 months. Stable.
Begin of feb :
last month lost a 2 month old engineer goby overnight.Unexplainable
Then added a blenny to replace goby and he died 2 days later. Unexplainable
About this time noticed white spots on 2 clowns but they acted fine. Eating. Playing.
Didn’t know much at the time so just kept an eye on it.
End of feb. the white dots spread over the fish in a layer.
lost both fish day of photos.
called lfs and he said to bring remaining fish to him. Cardinal didn’t make it and watchman goby is only one left.

couple observations as I look back and reflect. Info may help Id based on symptoms.

1. The clowns took a least a month for it to fully spread. And they only acted lethargic 24 prior to succumbing. No gasping for air or charging power heads.
2. Did notice them hiding under rocks a week before death. Maybe unrelated.
3 no mucus. Or inflamed gills.
4. Day of clown death noticed cardinal had white spots on fins. He was lathargic on day of move. Didn’t make it 24hrs at lfs.
5. 1 weeks prior to clowns dying I noticed royal gamma rubbing on rocks and never saw him again. At the time didn’t think much as he always stayed in rocks. Never even found body.

mistskes have been made and lessons learnt. Just trying to get a firm diag of affliction.

Photos are of clowns on day of death.

C9C69C6E-241C-4458-A235-0F0042DBFD8F.jpeg 1A3D40D6-0B7C-4C84-8F4A-553F21E938C1.jpeg A2F07908-366E-4F24-AFEC-611DCB2DB635.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
longbeachjw

longbeachjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks prior to succumbing
Notice white on tops

Attachments

• 6921B78D-0F70-4B85-8E19-EE75E56A34C4.jpeg
    6921B78D-0F70-4B85-8E19-EE75E56A34C4.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 37

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fish disease expert and I don't have a diagnosis I'd feel confident in, but I will note that clowns have very thick mucus layers and are often some of the last survivors when disease strikes. Is your watchman still alive?

OP
OP
longbeachjw

longbeachjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fish disease expert and I don't have a diagnosis I'd feel confident in, but I will note that clowns have very thick mucus layers and are often some of the last survivors when disease strikes. Is your watchman still alive?
Yes. As of Thursday check in with lfs.
if he does make it after I’m ready to add fish i plan on donating him back to the lfs. Will start over with fish.
implement strict qt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. As of Thursday check in with lfs.
if he does make it after I’m ready to add fish i plan on donating him back to the lfs. Will start over with fish.
implement strict qt.
Identifying disease from pictures isn’t always possible. I think there are multiple issues at play here. The clowns may have had flukes, but I can’t rule out Brooklynella. At this point, you should leave the tank fishless and fallow for 45+ days. A good quarantine process would be 30 days of copper followed by praziquantel 3x over 2 weeks, finishing up with 2 weeks of observation.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back