Velvet Outbreak. Need help with QT question

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have velvet. It has wiped out half my fish. I have all required gear for a QT tank.

My question is, how do I cycle this as quickly as possible?
I have micro bacteria 7. I have rubble in my sump and a sponge in the QT.

Should I use existing water in my tank or make brand new water?
Should I add some rubble and Mb7 to quick start the cycle?
Time is of the essence here I could really use some input. Thank you!

20220813_121209.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. You may want to post a picture to confirm velvet.

How many fish are moving to the qt?

Get that cycled sponge filter going ASAP. Existing tank water will be fine. Massive amounts of water aeration will be your friend.

If fish are already dying off, You will want to go full strength on copper right away. A freshwater dip may help in the short term. Depending on how advanced the disease has become, You still may not be able to save them all, but getting them into the medicated QT is the first step.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert badge on QT for sure. I would use old water to start then obviously fresh mixed for changes to keep ammonia at bay. I went through a velvet a outbreak a few months back and lost lot of livestock but saved quite a few also. I used copper power as it doesn't seem to dissipate (?) out like cupramine and need continuos testing and adding. With copper power once it was at therapeutic levels I just added to the new mix for water changes. Rock in a qt is a no no as it can soak up the copper but I started with a couple of pieces before I knew that so that may have helped my cycle. A cycled sponge is now available at all times.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add rubble if it is possibly calcium based as it will absorb the copper and make it very difficult for you to achieve and maintain the correct theraputic level.

If you have any foam or other material in your display tank that is not calcium based, you can try adding it to the QT filtration.

You can use a bacteria in a bottle product to fast start the cycle, but be aware that most of these products require several days or even a week or more to stabilize the cycle. During that time you need to check ammonia daily if not more frequently and be prepared to do a water change if it rises too high.

I personally do not have confidence is the accuracy or speed with which the badges measure ammonia. I recommend the salifert or red sea test kits over API.

If you have to do a water change, be sure to double check your copper level to prevent it from dropping below your target.

Also, get your copper to the target in no more that 12 hours. Time is of the essence. Copper is not effective in the least at lower than target levels, i.e. 2.50 ppm for coppersafe or copper power and .50 ppm for cupramine.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add above the recommended amount of bacteria in a bottle along with a sponge filter and you will be good. Some recommend adding different brands of bacteria to provide different strains of bacteria. By increasing the amount and adding different brands I have been able to add fish immediately. Even if the ammonia rises, it won’t rise very much or for too long. Keep your feeding to a minimum at first as well.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you feel the fish can handle it give them a formalin or fresh water bath to decrease the parasite burden before putting them in copper. If you use copper power you can go straight to 2.5 ppm without having to ramp up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have velvet. It has wiped out half my fish. I have all required gear for a QT tank.

My question is, how do I cycle this as quickly as possible?
I have micro bacteria 7. I have rubble in my sump and a sponge in the QT.

Should I use existing water in my tank or make brand new water?
Should I add some rubble and Mb7 to quick start the cycle?
Time is of the essence here I could really use some input. Thank you!

20220813_121209.jpg

Sorry to hear. What velvet treatment are you considering? If copper, but sure to get at an effective full dose within 6 hours or so. Add a partial dose, let it mix, test to ensure you are on the right tract, and then add the remaining dose. For coppersafe or copper power, you need to get to 2.5 ppm. For cupramine, I would go to 0.60 ppm (but never use ammonia removers with these products).

As mentioned, a FW dip going into this will help buy you some time, but once fish loss from velvet begins, it is often hard to stop before more loss ocurrs.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back