Velvet outbreak!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to the unfortunate surprise that my clowns are dusted with velvet. I don’t think they’re gonna make it, and am really bummed about this. They’re still eating, but have elevated breathing and are swimming very sparatically. Here is a picture of the problem:
FD04BB33-257C-424D-BC11-276D27533F70.jpeg

I don’t think it’s brook, however, as it is clearly a dusting and not peeling. The pic makes it look like brook, but to the eye it is most certainly velvet.

I need to act fast, and because of an upcoming snowstorm, any new meds I order won’t arrive in time to save them. I have formulated this plan based on what I have, and I am wondering if it is acceptable.

5 min FW dip to alleviate surface trophonts and dinospores. This will immediately be followed by a 30 minute bath in malachite green (via super ich cure) and then they will be put into QT where I will raise copper to a therapeutic level (cupramine). I also have PraziPro but don’t think that would do much on velvet. Ideally, a formalin or acriflavine dip would be the proper option, but I don’t have any medications with either. Is my plan acceptable, or are my fish going to die?

Last edited:

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So velvet treatment is copper
And won’t touch brook I don’t think

brook treatment is prazipro or formalin, sometimes a lot of fw dips have cured brook

brook is very common on clownfish

link to humble fish’s website

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So velvet treatment is copper
And won’t touch brook I don’t think

brook treatment is prazipro or formalin, sometimes a lot of fw dips have cured brook

brook is very common on clownfish

link to humble fish’s website
Do you think that treating copper and PraziPro would be a good option, if I am unsure what it is? The issue is that brook definitely seems similar to velvet symptom-wise.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure how to tell the difference between velvet and brook- I’ll have to look into it

I wouldn’t do 2 medications in one qt tank, but maybe do baths in prazipro, and put the fish in a qt tank with copper?
Prazipro says to not use with other medications

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for God's sake. Didnt we already go through this? Lol I thought you went fallow and were going to start quarantining things when they came in?

I shake my head at you. Also, copper, copper, copper. As you've been told before, you wanna use meds for this? Copper.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @Sharkbait19 you mentioned on Thursday that your fish had something and you were looking for a formalin treatment.
I thought they maybe had brook but that fear quickly went away. The issue is I found a few formalin treatments but none that could arrive on time.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for God's sake. Didnt we already go through this? Lol I thought you went fallow and were going to start quarantining things when they came in?

I shake my head at you. Also, copper, copper, copper. As you've been told before, you wanna use meds for this? Copper.
I did fallow, and I did quarantine. What precisely is your point here?
Is there any particular reason to be so harsh to people looking for help? I feel like I find you everywhere in my threads, bashing my aquarium husbandry.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch..... Bummer. Does your LFS keep their fish at low salinity and in copper? If so, it was likely masking the velvet and being taken out of it meant that it resurfaced again.

Other than that I don’t know man. I’m not the expert.
Thanks! The lfs claims that they medicate and quarantine all their new fish and corals, and that these clowns are captive bred. I do not know the validity to this. They didn’t show problems in my QT tank, which does make me believe that somehow there was still some velvet after 90 days fallow, and being captive bred, they’ve never been exposed to disease.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medications do you have on hand?
I have API super ich cure, Hikari PraziPro, and Seachem Cupramine. To be quite honest, I’ve only recently discovered the importance of specifics in aquarium meds. And I know there are better meds, but as I’ve mentioned, there is a snowstorm keeping me from being able to get any better meds.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back