Velvet outbreak

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am experiencing a Velvet out break, while there is a ton of information out there on how to treat this and many methods.

My question is has anybody used Collodial Copper to treat Velvet?

If so what were the doses etc.

I have yet to find anything on the forums

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of colloidal copper being used, but why not just use the products designed for treating ich/velvet. They are guaranteed to be safe.
Velvet only has one effective treatment, and that is 30 days in copper and a 6 week fallow in the dt.
That said, please post pics and a video to confirm it’s velvet.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I know it is Velvet, I will be picking up Copper Power today, I was just asking the question as we have it in the house, and use it to treat various illness in the house non-fish related, and thought that it may be less impactful on the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I know it is Velvet, I will be picking up Copper Power today, I was just asking the question as we have it in the house, and use it to treat various illness in the house non-fish related, and thought that it may be less impactful on the fish.

I've never heard of it being used on fish. With Copper Power and true velvet, you'll want to get to a full 2.55 ppm dose within half a day or so. Using a Hanna high range copper test is best, but you can dose it fairly effectively if you know the exact water volume of the tank.

Jay

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through this a fee months ago. Lost many but save some my older fish. I used copper power also. It no e because once you reach therapeutic levels you don't have to keep adding. I used cupramine a few years ago an it was a pita as I had to keeping testing and adding. Never used colloidal copper

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a hospital tank setup the initial dose of copper came in at 2.29 so I will need to add more, but I have to catch the rest of the fish before I up the dose, 2 down 8 to go.

I do have a sand sifting Goby, how have people navigated no having sand in a tank for them to eat, I have seen him free eat so that should not be too big of an issue, but I am also concerned that he will be stressed from not doing his thing.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to take a moment and recognize @Humblefish for taking the time to post all of the information about ick and velvet, I found this information to be very accurate, and helpful, while I am not out of the woods yet, the instruction is clear and concise.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Just a quick update here, Looks like we have gone the first round of the parasite falling off the fish. There are 5 remaining as of today. All three Wrasses (makes me wonder if they are healthier or what) the diamond and watchman goby are also still looking good. As of this morning, one of the wrasses that was covered in white has all of its color back and swimming quite normally, the six line also began swimming today rather than sitting on the bottom of the tank, so we will see what happens. I was able to get the copper power up to 2.55 and has stayed there with ease so far the copper power has been great and easy to work with.

magic23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still suggest taking out and treating all you fish that made it, as well as leaving your tank fishless for at least 6 weeks. Yes, your current fish will get immune to velvet for some time, but not your future fish. You are risking velvet coming back and killing more fish.

Back