Velvet question

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon had 10 fish, until the last fish i bought from a LFS had velvet. The first fish to go were the more susceptible ones like my yellow and sailfin tang. Eventually all but three died from it. The only remaining fish were wrasses, two coris and one leopard. I've read wrasses are resistant to velvet due to their slime coat. Its been a couple months since the incident and the wrasses have been the only fish in the tank, and they are still happy and healthy. Does that mean Velvet is clear from the tank, since it could not latch onto my wrasses? or does the tank have to be completely fallow to truly get it all out? I'm using this as an opportunity to go a little smaller with a brand new, non used, 60 gallon cube. My plan was to give my wrasses to the LFS and maybe try a clown harem tank in the 60. But I also really like my Coris wrasses, they would be great in my new 60. Would that bring Velvet into my new tank if I put them in it, even though they themselves have survived the apparent outbreak and have been fine for months? Any knowledge of the disease is appreciated.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, for velvet to completely "die" from a tank, the tank needs to go fallow for 76 days. If you move your Coris wrasse to the new tank, it will bring the potential chance of velvet to your new tank as well. This is something that I would 100% not risk imo.

That being said, with the wrasse, new clowns, etc... You're safest bet is to QT them all before going into the new DT. Chance's are, your LFS has velvet in their tank if you got velvet from them in the first place, so even though you don't see ich or velvet on them, doesn't mean they aren't already infected.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back