velvet / transfering in quarantine tank

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, As you can see, I have a beautiful desease in my tank that decimate almost everything exept 2 fish. I discuss with my reef shop and he suggest me to transfer the fish in a quarantine tank. I have only a blue tang ( 12 years old ) left and a hawkfish, I bought a 35 gallon tank so the tang must have space, But I dont have enough water to fully fill the tank so I wont be able to start the filter for 24 to 48 hours.

I want to know if I should wait or or transfer them.

QT spec :

start the tank with bacto blend with completely new water ( as advice )
PPM: 30 . the lower the better ?
temp : 73 f / 24 c

And If you have other advice you are welcome.

Sorry for my english ( 3rd langage)

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy yourself some time by doing a freshwater dip to the remaining fish.

Instructions:

You need to get them in a copper quarantine as soon as possible. Buy water from your fish store if need be.

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant get copper I am in canada... and I wont be able to by more water until Wednesday

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys, As you can see, I have a beautiful desease in my tank that decimate almost everything exept 2 fish. I discuss with my reef shop and he suggest me to transfer the fish in a quarantine tank. I have only a blue tang ( 12 years old ) left and a hawkfish, I bought a 35 gallon tank so the tang must have space, But I dont have enough water to fully fill the tank so I wont be able to start the filter for 24 to 48 hours.

I want to know if I should wait or or transfer them.

QT spec :

start the tank with bacto blend with completely new water ( as advice )
PPM: 30 . the lower the better ?
temp : 73 f / 24 c

And If you have other advice you are welcome.

Sorry for my english ( 3rd langage)
You said " As you can see". We see nothing as there are no pics. If Velvet, you dont want to wait.
Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pics and or a short video can help the experts.

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tang.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's velvet for sure. Looks like powdered sugar.
HUH - maybe im missing it - its a blurry mess to me - and I cant get it into focus.

To the OP- Can you look at the link in my signature - as to what to do/ask - about disease questions - that might help. It sounds like at minimum you need a hospital tank for all your fish -not just the tang - (assuming it has velvet - which is not clear to me) - tangs do die. but 12 years is not old.

To answer your question though - aeration - with anything - will help. You can also put in a HOB filter with bacteria in a bottle
It seems though like you're asking people to answer the impossible question?

Please see the Link in my signature - try to answer those questions - and so sorry about your fish - surely its stressful

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back