Velvet ?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Petco today to get some emerald crabs, or see if they had small ones. Petco is the only local saltwater store. They are having a velvet outbreak currently. I feel bad for the fish and want to save them all. They have some nice specimens currently that I know won't live :'( I've told the manager about copper and CP. Petco won't allow it, they'd rather the fish die a horrible death I guess. The fish manager seems real knowledgeable and wants to treat them, he understands most are gonners without it.

My question is this. Does an 80 day qt erradicate velvet? Or did I mess up. I grabbed a bunch of different snails, feather duster, some different crabs, emerald, blue legs, squat lobster crab and they will go in my invert qt for 80 days. Wanted a small cleaner or peppermint shrimp but they had none. Just got done with 80 days of qt for a bunch of nerite and a blue knuckle.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going "fallow" for 76 days will starve out Ich, velvet, brook, all but uronema. During the 76 days if you add anything "wet" the clock starts over again.

The Petco thing is infuriating. Saved a couple of fish there myself.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything for this qt is just for this qt, nothing gets used on other tanks. In regards to uronema, is there a treatment for inverts?

I wish I had room and time to set up a bunch of qt tanks and buy them all and run through treatment then take them all to the nearest city with decent saltwater stores(6 hours away)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything for this qt is just for this qt, nothing gets used on other tanks. In regards to uronema, is there a treatment for inverts?

I wish I had room and time to set up a bunch of qt tanks and buy them all and run through treatment then take them all to the nearest city with decent saltwater stores(6 hours away)
Uronema cannot be starved out by removing fish. Normal treatment for uronema is a bath in a formalin product and then 10-14 days of feeding metro. Works for fish; not so much for inverts. :(

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is for sure transferable through inverts? What are the signs I need to look for? Would it help to treat my inverts food with metro? I do keep a whole variety of meds on hand.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is for sure transferable through inverts? What are the signs I need to look for? Would it help to treat my inverts food with metro? I do keep a whole variety of meds on hand.
Both Ich and Velvet can encyst on any hard surface like glass, shells (snails, shrimp, etc.), some macro algaes, corals, etc.

Metro can kill some/most inverts. Some have had good results, but most end badly.

I always QT new incoming inverts for 76 days in a "fallow" (fishless) QT.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will probably go 3 months as the Petco tanks had velvet pretty bad and I want to be extra safe. No meds then either.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back