Velvet

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5C3B5446-E3A3-4B13-8D33-C9EE87F61737.jpeg

Hi Guys,

here what happened to my fish, and then I asked what is wrong with my fish I was told that is velvet and then they told me to qt them immediately put them in hospital tank and treat them with copper.
I did the same what I was told now all my fish in qt tank my display is empty, and I purchased this copper that I attached.

please I need ur help to guide me to cure all my fish.
B1312650-1FED-4F78-83A8-41E97C812751.jpeg 6FC138FB-7CE2-41BE-A5C4-89F0428B646F.jpeg

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that stuff is ionic copper. Raise to 0.5 ppm immediately, if you dont have a copper hanna that is going to be difficult. I would recommend switching to copper power if you can get it, what test kit are you using?

In any case you need to get to therapeutic copper asap.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats definitely marine velvet did you buy a copper test as well to go along with the copper? also you will need to leave your main display fishless for at least 6 weeks to fully get rid of the parasite

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that stuff is ionic copper. Raise to 0.5 ppm immediately, if you dont have a copper hanna that is going to be difficult. I would recommend switching to copper power if you can get it, what test kit are you using?

In any case you need to get to therapeutic copper asap.
Thanks for your response, I don’t have a copper test

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, I don’t have a copper test

You are gonna need one to know what you are dosed at. The hanna is expensive but easy. If you are staying with ionic copper its a must as other kits are sensitive enough and you have to be accurate.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% velvet, good catch, it is beyond nasty.

Dose copper as per instructions on the bottle. Normally a ramp up is recommended, but Velvet doesn't mess around, get it to the therapeutic level asap.

Get a test kit, Hanna if you can, but anything will do. Verify your copper levels and adjust accordingly. Anything but a Hanna and I suggest chelated copper, broader effective range.

Get a seachem ammonia alert badge and put it in the QT. Copper can reduce biofilters, so it's a good way to passively monitor ammonia.

If you need to do a water change, dose and test the new water prior to adding into the tank.

A freshwater dip might be a good idea, kills some of the parasites on the fish, buying you time to act. Match new rodi water temperature with the tank heavily airate for an hour, put the fish in it, preferably using a specimen container for easy recapture. Maximum 5 minutes and return to QT. Make sure they have their equilibrium back before release.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck hopefully you catch it in time. I didn’t this year and lost everything. Afterwards bought copper (hard to find in canada) started a qt tank and now am starting from scratch I went 7.5 weeks fallow before I put fish back in the main display

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5C3B5446-E3A3-4B13-8D33-C9EE87F61737.jpeg

Hi Guys,

here what happened to my fish, and then I asked what is wrong with my fish I was told that is velvet and then they told me to qt them immediately put them in hospital tank and treat them with copper.
I did the same what I was told now all my fish in qt tank my display is empty, and I purchased this copper that I attached.

please I need ur help to guide me to cure all my fish.
B1312650-1FED-4F78-83A8-41E97C812751.jpeg 6FC138FB-7CE2-41BE-A5C4-89F0428B646F.jpeg
Thanks for all y’all,

can someone advise on my below questions?
1- how long I must qt them?
2- how long I must leave my display empty?
3- how long I must treat them with copper in my hospital tank?
4- what temperature is suitable for them?
5- how many times I must do water change?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all y’all,

can someone advise on my below questions?
1- how long I must qt them?
2- how long I must leave my display empty?
3- how long I must treat them with copper in my hospital tank?
4- what temperature is suitable for them?
5- how many times I must do water change?

1- how long I must qt them? Copper for 2 weeks is plenty, but you'll have to house them somewhere after
2- how long I must leave my display empty? Fallow for velvet is 6 weeks to be close to 100% sure
3- how long I must treat them with copper in my hospital tank? Copper for 2 weeks is plenty
4- what temperature is suitable for them? Don't change temp from normal. 78-ish
5- how many times I must do water change? Only when ammonia levels dictate. You'll probably have to do it a couple times at least.

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- how long I must qt them? Copper for 2 weeks is plenty, but you'll have to house them somewhere after
2- how long I must leave my display empty? Fallow for velvet is 6 weeks to be close to 100% sure
3- how long I must treat them with copper in my hospital tank? Copper for 2 weeks is plenty
5- how many times I must do water change? Only when ammonia levels dictate. You'll probably have to do it a couple times at least.
Thanks for your quick response,
I have starfish and snails are they gonna affect cuz I leave them in the display tank.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave them in the display, they'll be fine. Velvet only attacks fish.

You'll have to feed them, unless your tank grows enough algae and such without fish to sustain them. Pellets, flake, nori, mysis, brine. They don't need much.

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave them in the display, they'll be fine. Velvet only attacks fish.

You'll have to feed them, unless your tank grows enough algae and such without fish to sustain them. Pellets, flake, nori, mysis, brine. They don't need much.
Thanks for your response, and I have two cleaner they don’t have velvet is that ok if I put them back to the display? See the attached picture.

BC28C366-116B-45F5-BA95-2B9E63D8D5BC.jpeg

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question all my fish are ok except one purple tang has velvet, other they don’t have any tiny white dots on their body. So should I put them back to the display or I must leave them on qt

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish must be qt and treated. Tank needs to be completely fishless.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to all fish must be removed and treated. Velvet doesn't always present with spots. Usually does, but not always. When velvet hit me the only fish that showed the spots were black mollies I converted to saltwater.

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, and I have two cleaner they don’t have velvet is that ok if I put them back to the display? See the attached picture.

BC28C366-116B-45F5-BA95-2B9E63D8D5BC.jpeg
Hi hugh-mann,

I have this two I put them in qt should I leave Them there or it’s ok to put them back to the display?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hugh-mann,

I have this two I put them in qt should I leave Them there or it’s ok to put them back to the display?

The display is contaminated, don’t add fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back