Velvet :(

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but thought I would confirm with you all....

I had an outbreak of velvet in my tank...long story, impatience on my part, learned my lesson, lost 5 of 6 fish. Of course, the one to survive is my pennant wrasse...the most reclusive fish in the tank. Voted the most likely to hide in a crevice whenever I’m within 3 feet of the tank. I understand they tend to be more resistant to velvet, and he looks completely fine at this point. I am assuming though that he can still be harboring? Can’t start my official fallow period until I get him out or he dies of old age, whichever comes first? Catching him in my 70 gallon tank is likely to mean draining the tank +/- a bunch of forced aquascaping :(.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have the parasite, the tank has the parasite, I certainly agree not to take anything apart, you assessment is correct in my mind.

Velvet is a fast killer so at most, I’d add a week to fallow.
He must eat, come out when your not there, watch that behavior closely and adjust your fallow if you see any spots on him.

You could always try a fish trap.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to get him out. I dreaded getting everything out of my WB170 and indeed had to drain a lot of water out and pull rocks. I did it in the “dark” and it wasn’t terrible, but definitely a chore.

I feel for you.

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply! He is acting like his old self...he comes out to eat, swims around happily as long as I maintain my distance, lol. Respiratory rate is normal. He seems fine. He’s been alone in the tank for a week now...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish trap is your best bet. Works every time.
In the mean time, continue treatment until you catch him. On the otherhand, if youre going to do Fallow, you can as mentioned drain down tank a bit (equivalent of a good water change) and kill two birds with one stone.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to get him out. He can appear healthy but still help the parasite reproduce in small numbers, enough to infect new fish.

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap is your best bet. Works every time.
In the mean time, continue treatment until you catch him. On the otherhand, if youre going to do Fallow, you can as mentioned drain down tank a bit (equivalent of a good water change) and kill two birds with one stone.
I haven’t done any treatment besides my weekly water change. DT is full of corals and a few invertebrates. I will look in to a fish trap...
I was hoping I could get away with just leaving him an only child for a couple of months. Sigh.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven’t done any treatment besides my weekly water change. DT is full of corals and a few invertebrates. I will look in to a fish trap...
I was hoping I could get away with just leaving him an only child for a couple of months. Sigh.
This is 50/50 for you. For ich and velvet, I have had great success with treating with Polyp Lab MEDIC which is reef safe. Its effective and worked for me in a mixed reef tank.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a fish trap, but that really works best for aggressive feeders who come out and eat boldly whenever you add food. Think tangs and angels. Not so much for shy feeders (you'll end up waiting for hours). I would empty tank water into buckets and catch it.

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a fish trap, but that really works best for aggressive feeders who come out and eat boldly whenever you add food. Think tangs and angels. Not so much for shy feeders (you'll end up waiting for hours). I would empty tank water into buckets and catch it.
I was skeptical a fish trap would work for him. I’m thinking this will be next weekends project.

OP
OP
Corgigirl

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a fish trap over the weekend, as expected I was unsuccessful. Any chance that if I leave him alone in the tank for 70 or so days that that will be enough or can he harbor it for that long without being symptomatic? Most of my rock is glued, removing all with all the corals attached will be problematic to say the least.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a fish trap over the weekend, as expected I was unsuccessful. Any chance that if I leave him alone in the tank for 70 or so days that that will be enough or can he harbor it for that long without being symptomatic? Most of my rock is glued, removing all with all the corals attached will be problematic to say the least.
Sorry to say, you have to remove the fish if you want to confirm eradication of the parasite. This one may have a strong immune system, but it can still be a fish host to continue the life cycle of the parasite. You need all fish gone because 100% guaranteed the parasite cannot survive without a fish host past X days (depending on ich or velvet).

I would see where he is, then slowly take water down into big containers, keep your eye on him. At some point he will be flopping on the sand.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back