Vent shield question

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by Caliguy1983, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Caliguy1983

Caliguy1983 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

My vent exhaust shield side (opposite end of cord) is against a wall. The heat doesn't seem to rise as good and circles back down below to the tank surface. Can I switch sides with the exhaust shield and just put it on the corded side? Or is there a reason it's on the left side of the fixture? If I can switch sides for the exhaust I assume I keep the label side on the vent slot side no matter what. Please advise.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Tags:

2. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hey Caliguy,

I understand your intention but your idea will cause the fixture to overheat. The way it is designed the air flow goes across the ballasts then it enters the bulb area on the end with the cord. It then travels down the length of the T5's and exits the fixture. If you make the vent on the same end the air is entering the fixture you will not cool the bulbs at all and it will result in a loss of performance and bulb life.

You want to have at least 2 inches besides the fixture for the hot air to exhaust.

It sounds like your best bet is to turn the fixture around so your cord is on the wall side. Which if it is a dimmable fixture, makes it rather annoying to program.

3. Caliguy1983

Well I have at least 2 inches but since it's dimmable it won't be turned around....after studying it I realized there's nothing I can do but flip it around. Thanks

4. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

If you could provide a photo I may have other suggestions.

Some people use a fan to blow the hot air where they want it to go, you haven't made it fully clear what the problem is. Is the tank getting too much heat or is the light unable to stay cool?

5. Caliguy1983

The tank is getting too much heat... it's ok with the winter months but spring and summer it heats up. IMG_7165.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted