Venting my frustration about non-reefers

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one friend literally argue with me that my purple tang was Dory! I had to pull up a picture of Dory just to prove my point! I finally broke down and said the only thing accurate about the movie in general is the dang seagulls!

JSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, my mom was looking at the tank a few months ago and was commenting on it and she asked what was the hardest part of owning the tank and told her that keeping the parameters in check for the corals. She then said "those are real, I thought they were porcelain?" I said you've been watching too many episodes of Tanked, yes they are real. But then it led to a discussion about corals in the tank and corals in the ocean and i think she seemed very interested in what i was saying. If people don't know i don't get frustrated because i was there some time ago and there's still so much in this hobby i don't know so i look at it as an opportunity to help educate them as well as myself because sometimes people ask questions i don't know the answer to and i have to research it myself.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at an LFS in the early 2000's.

We had a TV that played Finding Nemo or Shark Tale 24/7. There was no getting around it. Every 3rd person came in wanting nemo in a goldfish bowl.

I now have kids and watching those movies brings up PTSD.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She then said "those are real, I thought they were porcelain?"
^

My answer to that question is... everything in the tank is alive...even the rock. You get two reponses... one is a change of subject.. or the other is What? how...

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't watch finding Nemo in donkeys years, I would probably wonder I your tang is "dory". But arguing they look the same after comparing pictures is pure stubborn inability to admit to a mistake.

Ith good to remember one rule to avoid getting wound up too much:
" never argue with stupid, they'll bring conversation down to their level and beat you with experience"

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have better conversations with the kids other than the adults. It’s received with an open mind and innocent wonder. Usually adults are to stubborn to admit they don’t know everything about everything. So when adults question, I give the dumbed down answer. When the kids ask, I’ll try to teach and get them interested.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have people over ALL the time and people say weird stuff all the time. I just shrug it off. Do you care about there hobby to ask proper terminology? Most likely not.

I will say to people "oh you like nemo do ya; put your hand in the tank and see how nice he is" :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least they were interested enough in your aquarium to notice :D

Also funny when the fish you spent $xxx on (or maybe even $xxxx :oops:) get passed over for the $10 pair of damsels you got on sale.
Yes, that exact thing has happened to me...i just sit there smh

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back