Venting my frustration about non-reefers

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk guys.. Nemo/Dory is from a cute movie. If they didn’t have that movie.. the clownfish would just be… “that orange goldfish looking thing”.

Calling them Nemo never bothers me. One of them bites so I just call him little *****.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remember, we're the weido's not them. They're probably thinking WOW this guys way to anal about his fish. Sometimes we have people over and they don't even look at my tank, and it's not like you don't see it, It's 100g. Doesn't bother me anymore. Relax, breath, let it go. :)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk guys.. Nemo/Dory is from a cute movie. If they didn’t have that movie.. the clownfish would just be… “that orange goldfish looking thing”.

Calling them Nemo never bothers me. One of them bites so I just call him little *****.
Yeah I don't get how people would get bent over it. I bet they like politics a lot to. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not gonna lie. When I first entered the hobby I was inspired to get a Nemo and Dory. I wonder how many people entered the hobby because of the movie. I’d assume a good bit!

However, it wasn’t until watching chasing coral on Netflix did I really get an appreciation for reefs, which then led me to my first tank purchase.

Last edited:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the nemo thing a lot. When Snowdogs came out everyone called my husky a Snowdog. When Togo came out my husky looks just like Togo so every child called him Togo. I can't win either :loudly-crying-face:. I feel the pain lol.
I get this too with my dalmatian (well technically I have 2, but one is brown-spotted so people don't think he's a dalmatian, lol). My generation would see one and call it "Pongo" or "Perdita" or "a 101 Dalmatian"!... :rolleyes: My son's generation sees my dog and goes "look it's Marshall!" (from Paw Patrol). Thing is, his name IS Marshall. :face-with-hand-over-mouth::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Doesn't really bug me as kids just identify with what they know. Funnier is the fact that they tend to assume I'm a firefighter simply because I have dalmatians, lol.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand the frustration really. This happens not only to reefers obviously, but to any other enthusiast so to speak. Try to "hear" the subtle differences a cable does in an high end audio setup. Audiophiles sear they can hear different timbers using different cables, and they insist in sitting you down and make you put attention in the highs of the music and then just roll their eyes when you say your heard exactly the same thing.

This is also the reaction of wine enthusiasts, orchid lovers, dog breeders, etc etc. We are just laymans in other people hobbies.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. My 8 and 3 year old aren't really into the tank all that much but at the LFS my youngest will say "Dori" to the correct fish. I don't even have one and she's able to pick it out in the line up :)

I get "Oh that's so cool! Where do you buy all these decorations from?" Then, "What do you mean they're alive....?"

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. My 8 and 3 year old aren't really into the tank all that much but at the LFS my youngest will say "Dori" to the correct fish. I don't even have one and she's able to pick it out in the line up :)

I get "Oh that's so cool! Where do you buy all these decorations from?" Then, "What do you mean they're alive....?"
Your kid not knowing the 20 syllable latin name for a fish..... and you call yourself a parent..... disgraceful....

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend, my wife and I had some people over and while sitting in the living room where the aquarium is located, someone commented on my "Dori" fish. The only thing is that I don't have a regal blue tang, I have a powder blue tang. I explained that I don't have a "Dori" fish and showed a picture of a blue tang on my phone so that they could see how different they look. Even after showing the picture, everyone agreed that they looked very similar, and my first reaction was "really?!" The reply was that they both have blue and yellow to which I replied, "so every fish that has blue and yellow on it looks the same?" After a couple minutes of describing all the differences, I gave up because I got the sense that I was making an butt out of myself. It was described to me that they only look so different to me because I am involved in the hobby and am more knowledgeable. But I feel that you don't need prior knowledge, but only eyes, to see that they are not the same. Anyway, I just felt like I was taking crazy pills and wanted to vent my frustration.
Honestly when I read this my first thought was wow... If I were your guest it would be the last time my wife got me to visit the crazy cousin.

Back