Venustus Angelfish (Paracentropyge venusta)| Fish Spotlight

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Zionas,

They "were" all doing well and I was see regularly spawning behavior from them, but never saw and actual spawn. We had an outbreak of something nasty in Jan/Feb and lost about 80+ fish including the venustus trio and the joculator pair. It's taken months for the system to cleanse itself and just a week ago Monday added 3 small (1") Venusta to the tank. The tank is now a 560g tall tank - a whole different story. So there is less hiding places but more stacks of dense rock. While away last weekend I did manage to spot two of them out and eating on the web cam. I'm in Hawaii this week but will be watching the webcam to hopefully spot all 3 getting more comfortable in the tank.

Dave B
That's a huge waste, I love your outdoor tanks with lots of angels, fantastic.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: I have been hoping to add this fish to my tank for a long time. Now I have the opportunity.

I would like some advise about two points:

1. Is it better to begin with two or three fishes in the QT tank to get a couple in the display tank?
2. Is it difficult to feed? May I expect success beginning with frozen artemia, mysis and krill or should I began with live copepods and artemia?

Thanks

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: I have been hoping to add this fish to my tank for a long time. Now I have the opportunity.

I would like some advise about two points:

1. Is it better to begin with two or three fishes in the QT tank to get a couple in the display tank?
2. Is it difficult to feed? May I expect success beginning with frozen artemia, mysis and krill or should I began with live copepods and artemia?

Thanks
I got the venustus and it was eating frozen brine and mysis at the store. They had four and three of them were eating, but I’m treating it for ich now. Otherwise it picks at fresh clams and eats frozen well. He doesn’t eat pellets, and I haven’t tried flakes yet.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the venustus and it was eating frozen brine and mysis at the store. They had four and three of them were eating, but I’m treating it for ich now. Otherwise it picks at fresh clams and eats frozen well. He doesn’t eat pellets, and I haven’t tried flakes yet.
Thank you. I'm glad to know that it was eating frozen food from the beginning. Are you treating for ich preventively or did the venustus show symptoms after buying it?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'm glad to know that it was eating frozen food from the beginning. Are you treating for ich preventively or did the venustus show symptoms after buying it?
I used to treat my fish proactively but this time I waited and watched it on an observation tank which was a mistake. My multibar also got ich from the venustus but thankfully they are both in the observation tank so I started the copper treatment. None of the fish eat live brine which is weird haha

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to treat my fish proactively but this time I waited and watched it on an observation tank which was a mistake. My multibar also got ich from the venustus but thankfully they are both in the observation tank so I started the copper treatment. None of the fish eat live brine which is weird haha
Hope the treatment works. Last year I got a nice multicolor which was in the observation tank for 10 days. No symptoms. However, after introducing it to the display tank it developed ich, and also some of the other fishes. I lost four fishes including the multicolor.

Do the venustus and multibar keep along well? They are some of my favourite dwarf angels, but I have had very bad luck with multicolors. I have tried them four times and always they don't make it through the quarantine. I have found it is very difficult to train them to eat.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the treatment works. Last year I got a nice multicolor which was in the observation tank for 10 days. No symptoms. However, after introducing it to the display tank it developed ich, and also some of the other fishes. I lost four fishes including the multicolor.

Do the venustus and multibar keep along well? They are some of my favourite dwarf angels, but I have had very bad luck with multicolors. I have tried them four times and always they don't make it through the quarantine. I have found it is very difficult to train them to eat.
It's not possible to do a successful quarantine in 10 days, if the fish is going to present Cryptocarion, it has up to 90 days to be able to be present, at least that is what I understand, I quarantine the fish for at least 10 weeks, if they need medications are then supplied in a hospital tank. Venustus and Multibar get along but you need a couple of tricks to make it work, in what tank size do you plan to house them?
I have never had a multicolor angelfish but I don't think they are difficult to feed, Multibar on the contrary, is a different story.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Friday my new acquisitions, C. ferrugata and P. venustus, arrived to the QT tank. They are doing well (they had been for 10 days in the LFS observation tank). The small ferrugata is very active and already eats granules and artemia. The venustus is more shy and I do not see it eating very aggressively, but it is not skinny and the misis in the bottom of the tank is gone by the next day.
Yesterday I started the copper treatment (Coppersafe) as indicated by J. Hemdal.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not possible to do a successful quarantine in 10 days, if the fish is going to present Cryptocarion, it has up to 90 days to be able to be present, at least that is what I understand, I quarantine the fish for at least 10 weeks, if they need medications are then supplied in a hospital tank. Venustus and Multibar get along but you need a couple of tricks to make it work, in what tank size do you plan to house them?
I have never had a multicolor angelfish but I don't think they are difficult to feed, Multibar on the contrary, is a different story.
Sorry, in my previous post about bad luck I was talking about multibars, not multicolors.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Laloj: here you have some photos of the P. venusta. It has been for almost two weeks in my QT tank and 10 days more in the observation tank of the LFS. It is about 7 cm long.

It is a shy fish. Usually it is swimming around the tank with its mate C., ferrugata, but as soon as I enter the room hides inside one of the PVC pieces. Then it comes out to see what happens.

¡Saludos!

IMG-9285.jpg IMG-9288.jpg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Laloj: here you have some photos of the P. venusta. It has been for almost two weeks in my QT tank and 10 days more in the observation tank of the LFS. It is about 7 cm long.

It is a shy fish. Usually it is swimming around the tank with its mate C., ferrugata, but as soon as I enter the room hides inside one of the PVC pieces. Then it comes out to see what happens.

¡Saludos!

IMG-9285.jpg IMG-9288.jpg
Now thats a beautiful fish! I love that one..
Saludos, hermano!

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my venusta could not do it through QT.
I have got a new pair of TB venusta. They are small (around 2,5 cm) but they are already eating some cyclops and artemia nauplii. Hope this time they make it through the observational QT. They'll need some time to grow up until a decent size so they may be added to the display tank.

Attachments

• IMG_54244129.MOV
    8.5 MB

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there Any other way to post your pic? My phone won’t show them? Prolly has something to do with me not being in the computer. I’d love to c a pair together!
Seeded my dry rock barebottom tank with a bit of live rock, and Aiptasia and hydroids, and bryopsis :) they all love dry rock startups.

Unfortunately my venusta could not do it through QT.
I have got a new pair of TB venusta. They are small (around 2,5 cm) but they are already eating some cyclops and artemia nauplii. Hope this time they make it through the observational QT. They'll need some time to grow up until a decent size so they may be added to the display tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back