Vermatid attack

Particle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only took me, oh, maybe a year or two to a) notice that these little stick things growing on my euphyllia skeleton were invasive and b) that they were bad for it. The polyp extension had been gradually decreasing - I think a part of why I never noticed was the polyps were so big that the skeleton was covered by them so I didn't notice the vermatids taking hold below. Thought it could be lighting, alk swings, high magnesium... went through the list and FINALLY read about vermatids and realized that was likely the root problem.

It was time to frag this big chunk of frogspawn so pulled it out, broke it into 4 pieces, and went to town on the snails. There were so many that I resorted to using a dremel. I'm sure many survived but hopefully knocked back the population enough to let the corals recover. Will update as it goes.

IMG_4315.jpg IMG_4317.jpg IMG_4320.jpg

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to clean them out and also inspect the tank for more because and invasion like that it’s probably all over the tank and Stoney corals

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the overflow area, that's where they love to hide. Also check the pipes. Be vigilant. Crush them to the rock as you see them. My shrimp used to follow me around and clean up after I crushed them. Now I think my lone bumblebee snail keeps them in check as I have seen none in about a year

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advise. Although I worked autobody for almost 10 years plus a welder/fabricator for more. Just use proper caution, maybe a simple N95 mask or p100 respirator. Can't hurt unless you already have lung/heart issues, true respirators can cause issues if you have certain health problems.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds of them. Tiny ones . I’m mostly sps they aren’t bothering anything . I put in 6 BB snails a few weeks ago, ain’t seen any difference in numbers.
One poster replyed useing boiling water and a baster . But not close to the coral. Good luck

OP
OP
P

Particle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input all - used safety glasses and mask when using the dremel, for sure.

There are definitely a few scattered on rock in the tank, but not many. For some reason they really really prefer the big frogspawn. Pretty sure I discovered the source which was a war coral frag with a "spike" in the growth in the middle, it always had something stringy coming out of it and I never knew why until now. Superglued the hole so will see if that kills off the OG.

I have acans, goni, and a few others which all seem unbothered by their presence.

Good tip on the overflow. Pretty sure I've found them even on the filter sock, in hindsight.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.0%
Back