Vermentid snail found. Got some questions

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a vermantid snail on one of my corals base the coral been in the tank for about one month to a month and a half I found the snail on the side and thought it was a tube worm, but then saw the Webb coming out of it and then pulled the coral out of the tank took super glued it immediately and superglued around the base where I thought there might be more vermentid snail.
So I have a question is it game over because the one is in the tank for about two months and then popped up or it was it just that one snail and I’m good? Anyone know the spread rate on these things? Doesn’t look like I have any type of snails anywhere else

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vermitids in all my systems. I'd point out there were obvioulsy vermitids in the system your frag came from and it's still producing coral frag. I can see where a system could have too many vermitids but by far what i see are them grwoing in darker areas where they're not going to bother corals. I also see their feeding process as beneficial (as long as there aren't plague numbers) as it will capture and remove microbial stuff from the water, definitely a beneficial process.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I found a vermantid snail on one of my corals base the coral been in the tank for about one month to a month and a half I found the snail on the side and thought it was a tube worm, but then saw the Webb coming out of it and then pulled the coral out of the tank took super glued it immediately and superglued around the base where I thought there might be more vermentid snail.
So I have a question is it game over because the one is in the tank for about two months and then popped up or it was it just that one snail and I’m good? Anyone know the spread rate on these things? Doesn’t look like I have any type of snails anywhere else
Over a few years ive seen it has come to one verm, then suddenly there is another. As I find them now, I apply a small dab of gel superglue over their tube openings and they they starve . I tried bumble bee snails which are quite frank lazy and 10 at $4 each was a waste. They send the mucus webs out for food and steal it and with them annoy nearby corals

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a hypothetical that can't really be answered. There's nothing to suggest that your doomed to experience a vermited outbreak. Although you won't know until they start popping up everywhere.

Super gluing the rascal might not have been the best option though, they tend to find a way out and then pump your tank full of babies.

They pop off easily at the base with some pliers or side cutters... I'd remove it completely from your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a hypothetical that can't really be answered. There's nothing to suggest that your doomed to experience a vermited outbreak. Although you won't know until they start popping up everywhere.

Super gluing the rascal might not have been the best option though, they tend to find a way out and then pump your tank full of babies.

They pop off easily at the base with some pliers or side cutters... I'd remove it completely from your tank.
You cant always get to the base. They often get caught up in the glue and have no way out as their tubes are calcareous and they cannot bore their way out.
If there is a most effective method- Remove the entire housing with pliers but they are often not in a location where you can reach their base

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best weapon I’ve found against these is a pair of tungsten carbide tip needle drivers. One squeeze and kablooie!, dead snail.

German Stainless Reusable Tc Premium Grade Mayo Hegar Needle Holder 8 inch Serrated with Tungsten Carbide Inserts https://a.co/d/9h0ANAW

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaked out when I first saw them, then just started breaking them and putting a dab of glue on them. Never really ended up being much of a bother.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best weapon I’ve found against these is a pair of tungsten carbide tip needle drivers. One squeeze and kablooie!, dead snail.

German Stainless Reusable Tc Premium Grade Mayo Hegar Needle Holder 8 inch Serrated with Tungsten Carbide Inserts https://a.co/d/9h0ANAW
I couldn't find the grade of stainless steel they use. Do you have these? Do they still require detailed cleaning and drying to prevent rust like all the other "304 SS" products sold to us?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find the grade of stainless steel they use. Do you have these? Do they still require detailed cleaning and drying to prevent rust like all the other "304 SS" products sold to us?
I just rinse in tap water and hand dry/air dry between uses. They have developed minimal rust staining at the hinge area but no pitting. And for the price they are not terrible to replace if they ever fail.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back