Vermetid shell

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Currently have what looks like some vermetid shells on a polyp frag. They don't appear to be alive, no mucus or activity during feedings. Should I remove them, glue them up anyway? Also at the bottom center of the cluster of polyps there's small patch of purple with what looks like an orange mouth, chalice/shroom any ideas?
Thanks.
IMG_0323.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those little spiral shells look more like spirorbid worms than vermetid snails. Spirorbids are common, and the worst thing they ever do is grow on the front glass. (They scrape off pretty easily, so ... really not that bad . . . )

The purple with the orange mouth . . . is that guy soft? Almost looks like a mushroom of some sort.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Chukthunder

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom left looks like a vermitid. Remove it or it’ll spread like fire.

I removed those and more that were in it's coralline algae. Then the hermits came in and dog licked every spot. Checked the rest of the frags in the rack and found a larger one under a piece of chalice, a single aiptasia within some zoas, and a small feather duster between two mushrooms. I took the frag with aiptasia out and put the chalice on a new plug, but even if the aiptasia dies I'm doubting I can tell the difference between a diaspora of tiny feather dusters and any new aiptasia.
It's a nano tank and it'll go quick.

OP
OP
Chukthunder

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those little spiral shells look more like spirorbid worms than vermetid snails. Spirorbids are common, and the worst thing they ever do is grow on the front glass. (They scrape off pretty easily, so ... really not that bad . . . )

The purple with the orange mouth . . . is that guy soft? Almost looks like a mushroom of some sort.

~Bruce

It's soft and has about four or five mouths now, not sure how to remove it from the cloves.

On an unrelated note the Aiptasia X use crushed five out of the seven Zoa polyps on the plug, hoping it also killed the single anemone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back