Vermetid snail actually inside hammer?

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed a small red tube on a blasto frag. I glued it closed as I suspect it was a snail. I recently upgraded tanks and noticed what I thought was a bunch of mucus coming from my hammer when I put it into the new tank. However, after more thought, I am wondering if it is another snail. Tonight when the lights were low, I tossed a little dried food in for the fishes after feeding the corals. About 5 minutes later, I walked by and noticed a long string of mucus from the hammer. I quickly took it out and got the heads to retract as the mucus was coming right out the middle of the head. I do not see anything on the sides of the hammer other than the spiny skeleton pieces on the sides. Could the snail and tube be inside the coral or am I just overthinking this?

Thanks

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I know that when I took it out to inspect it that it had quite a bit of mucus dripping. I just hadn't seen it from the hammer itself in the tank. I guess I will be a bit paranoid for awhile after finding one snail.

Untapped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am wondering if vermitid snails can embed themselves in a coral? I have been doing battle with the boogers and have taken out every piece of rock and coral and gouged and snipped and eradicated as much as I could - but my ricordea seemed to have a thread of red coming from it repeatedly. I harassed the poor coral by lifting up every side and noticed a reddish-brown hard spot under the lip so i decided to cut it out as i would a fragging session- I used the snippers i had been cutting rock with which felt pretty hard-core on the brutality- but after 6 hours of working on this yesterday I am just feeling ruthless.

I know the flesh of this mushroom is thicker and has more resistance than most, but there was definitely a brownish hard bit embedded that I had to cut pretty deeply into it to remove.

I read that mushrooms do not have sclerites, but that would be what I would think it was...I have exhausted the bits that I suspected as vermitids - bright lights, magnifiers and hours of peering at every bit of rock/coral.

I read they can attach and disrupt the growth of corals and so im wondering if this could be the case.

I can't seem to find if they actually get into the fleshy parts...that would explain why I still see bits of these webs but not the shells...

So my poor coral got an iodine dip n is sitting pitiful n mutilated on the bottom of my stripped tank.

Oh, I also just took out the largest arch of live rock that served as my central building point for my corals - I know there are too many nooks n crannies for me to successfully destroy these little guys - is sitting it out for a month or so gonna do the trick? Or do they go dormant until the right parameters appear and i'll have to start all over again. I can do the acid soak but hope to find an easier, softer route.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sorry for the long-winded post, it felt mighty fine to vent a bit.

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had questioned that as well. I had a mushroom that was looking great, but recently, it doesn't extend as far. I noticed bumps on the foot that was glued to the frag. I glued that spot today and we will see if it is better tomorrow. I saw webs today at the top of the tank, but no bumps. I can track the webs back to rock. They may just be hanging on from the move into the big tank from Monday and mucus from the corals from the move, but now I am looking at everything very carefully after finding the one on my blasto.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back