Vermetid Snail?

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these vermetid snails? I saw them growing and thought it's my blastos growing a new head lol. Saw some web on the top one. Can I break it off or will that spread them? Would rather not use glue if possible.

20210124_201233.jpg

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be is the shell hard or soft? Could also be a sponge

The first picture to the left looks like the snail.
I haven't felt it yet. The left is definitely hard, but it looks similar shape to my blastos tube so wasn't sure. The right one I see strings like coming since yesterday, wasn't sure if it's my blastos stingers or something like that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vermetid and what looks like ball sponge

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics.

20210124_200854.jpg
20210124_200823.jpg
Try touching it and see if its soft or hard. Since you pointed out that you observed webs, if it is hard then yes it is a vermitid snail. If you are able to take the affected coral from the tank, make sure your remove the vermitid snail completely or it will regrow back.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll take the whole colony out later and feel/remove it and report back later. Should I get some bumblebee snail just as precaution? Don't see them anywhere else.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah confirmed they were vermetid snails. I chopped them off and superglue the spot. I see some white spirals underneath the colony, not sure if they are the same or not. Should I just leave it?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah confirmed they were vermetid snails. I chopped them off and superglue the spot. I see some white spirals underneath the colony, not sure if they are the same or not. Should I just leave it?
White spirals? Could be spirorbid worms. If they are, it shouldn’t be any issue. They are harmless filter feeders and in my opinion easy to scrape off.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spirals? Could be spirorbid worms. If they are, it shouldn’t be any issue. They are harmless filter feeders and in my opinion easy to scrape off.
Yeah, I think you're right. Easy to scrape off. I left them there. Thanks for the help! Would you recommend me getting some bumblebee snails just in case they spread?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never had any experience with bumblebee snails as a form of vermitid snail control. So far vermitids in my tank aren’t much of a nuisance but if you are able to get some bumblebee snails, I’d say no harm trying.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back