Vermetid Snails

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started battling vermetid snails. I removed most of my corals that had them attached to the plugs or skeleton. I cut them off and did a dip on them then put them back. But I have some attached to rocks and was thinking to just scrape them off with a metal pick. I don't think I would be able to get them I already scraped a few and they almost desinagrate. Do you think this will cause them to spread. I also tried a high powered laser but seems to take forever and I'm afraid for the fish eye site. I'm hoping to talk to someone that has won this battle.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started battling vermetid snails. I removed most of my corals that had them attached to the plugs or skeleton. I cut them off and did a dip on them then put them back. But I have some attached to rocks and was thinking to just scrape them off with a metal pick. I don't think I would be able to get them I already scraped a few and they almost desinagrate. Do you think this will cause them to spread. I also tried a high powered laser but seems to take forever and I'm afraid for the fish eye site. I'm hoping to talk to someone that has won this battle.
I have them too. Will follow. Would love to hear success stories.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have them in my system as well, I just don't worry too much about them. I get the bigger ones and scrape off a few but overall from what I have read, there really isn't anything you can do except starve them (and your livestock at the same time) or nuke your tank my taking out the live rock, and either acid bath or dry out the rock.

Couple of ways to look at it really. You can freak and start removing everything from the tank and go the extreme route of drying the rock or acid bathing the rock. Or you can just say what the heck and live with it, but at the same time be aware that they are there and you can do your best to keep the number in check. I am taking that approach to mine at the moment. I just am not fond of adding anything to the tank unless I absolutely have to for treating pest. Also not in a position where I want to break down the tank and essentially start over again either.

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have about 20 left figuring if I catch it early could be a way to stop them. Dose scraping them in the aquarium cause them to spread?

Benjamin's Reef tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got hundreds of these stupid snails in my 40. one of them poked me one time when I was moving some LR. hurt pretty bad

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back