Vermetid Snails?

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these vermetid snails? They are every where. There are hundreds of them. I haven't seen any mucus webs when I feed my fish.

verm.jpg

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, looks like the bad ones that multiply like crazy. Good luck
Figures i'ld get the bad ones. My little 50 gal reef is over 20 years old. It has had its ups and downs but nothing like this. Maybe its time to throw in the towel.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figures i'ld get the bad ones. My little 50 gal reef is over 20 years old. It has had its ups and downs but nothing like this. Maybe its time to throw in the towel.
I dont think its a lost cause though, bumblebee snails and maybe even some wrasses can help with the issue, as well as muriatic acid to the worst of the rocks. Also start crushing the tubes and or glueing them. Its tough but as long as corals arent being bothered it isnt done just yet.

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its a lost cause though, bumblebee snails and maybe even some wrasses can help with the issue, as well as muriatic acid to the worst of the rocks. Also start crushing the tubes and or glueing them. Its tough but as long as corals arent being bothered it isnt done just yet.
I have a six line in the tank already. I just ordered 25 bumble bee snails. The chili pepper montipora seems to have encrusted over them on that rock. anyone know how long these suckers live out side the tank? I can probably remove a few rocks every week and let them dry out and put them back in. I don't think that would mess with the bio levels in the tank too much?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in the tank already. I just ordered 25 bumble bee snails. The chili pepper montipora seems to have encrusted over them on that rock. anyone know how long these suckers live out side the tank? I can probably remove a few rocks every week and let them dry out and put them back in.
Idk they can retreat into their tubes so probably a very long time out of water, maybe h2o2 spray on it but a quick muritatic acid dip will immediately kill em

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're probably dead then...lucky you! I'm assuming this is a new piece of rock and you noticed them on it...not something that grew over time on existing rock, right?
No these are all rocks that have been in the tank for awhile. I mean these little tubes are everywhere on every piece of rock in the tank. Like I said earlier there are hundreds of them. Since Covid we stopped allowing the gents that clean my tank in our home. They drop off water and a filter sock every week and its up to me to clean the tank. I guess I really started noticing them a few months ago but didn't think anything of them until this last few weeks. I don't know how fast they multiply but they may have been there for a while by the number of them. I hope they are all dead. I am going to clean that rock I took the photo from and put it back. Hopefully I won't see them grow tubes back. The 25 bumble bee snails arrive Wednesday I'll see what they do. Thanks for your advise.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for clarifying. My guess then is that they're very much alive. Best course of action is to take the rocks out one at a time and chisel off the buggers. If that's not feasible, then buy thick superglue that comes in metal tubes (like the old toothpaste tubes--so that when you squeeze out glue, no water gets sucked back in the tube) and glue shut every snail tube you can find. I got bumblebee snails to help with my problem as well, but I didn't see them do anything about the vermetids. Don't forget to look in your overflows and sump too. Vermetids don't need light so they can be anywhere, unfortunately also inside your plumbing where you can't see them. Good luck!

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for clarifying. My guess then is that they're very much alive. Best course of action is to take the rocks out one at a time and chisel off the buggers. If that's not feasible, then buy thick superglue that comes in metal tubes (like the old toothpaste tubes--so that when you squeeze out glue, no water gets sucked back in the tube) and glue shut every snail tube you can find. I got bumblebee snails to help with my problem as well, but I didn't see them do anything about the vermetids. Don't forget to look in your overflows and sump too. Vermetids don't need light so they can be anywhere, unfortunately also inside your plumbing where you can't see them. Good luck!
this doesn't sound like fun at all. Maybe its time to bail on this tank and start over another day. Of well.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rocks, it’s a piece of cake. Tin-snip type pliers. Cut them/crush they at their base, where they attach to the rocks. (Use a strong light so you can see them all, big and small.) You can do probably snip them at a rate of 15-20 per minute.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 50 gallon (that's what you have right?) this isn't an insurmountable project. Probably a couple hours. Look at it this way, you can also use it as a time to give your tank a thorough once-in-a-decade cleaning and rearrange your rock work to look like that scape you have in your dreams! Sorry---just trying to numb your pain a little! I've got a 300 gallon tank with about 350 pounds of rock and probably about 100 vermetids left that I can see at this point. Probably another full Saturday worth of work for me. Ugh.

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restarting my tank for the same reason... All over the rocks and growing on the backwall and powereheads.. Cleaning them off the rocks alone will not eradicate them

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this doesn't sound like fun at all. Maybe its time to bail on this tank and start over another day. Of well.
I had thousands a few months ago in my 90 gallon. I got bumblebees and started using some forceps or any pinching instrument to pick off the ones close to corals once a week. I now have a few hundred but they are manageable now. Be patient. It takes time. Likely months. It can improve though.

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 65 I think I am too old for this s***
I appreciate everyone's advise and encouragement.
I just ordered some coral cutters from Amazon.

Think a blue laser would help? I've seen on youtube.com what it does to Aiptasia

OP
OP
anassau

anassau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 50 gallon (that's what you have right?) this isn't an insurmountable project. Probably a couple hours. Look at it this way, you can also use it as a time to give your tank a thorough once-in-a-decade cleaning and rearrange your rock work to look like that scape you have in your dreams! Sorry---just trying to numb your pain a little! I've got a 300 gallon tank with about 350 pounds of rock and probably about 100 vermetids left that I can see at this point. Probably another full Saturday worth of work for me. Ugh.
this sucks LOL !

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 65 I think I am too old for this s***
I appreciate everyone's advise and encouragement.
I just ordered some coral cutters from Amazon.

Think a blue laser would help? I've seen on youtube.com what it does to Aiptasia

Highly doubtful unfortunately. Now that people are vaccinated, maybe get your maintenance people back and have them tackle the problem. When in doubt with a reef tank, pay an expert and hide the expense from your spouse!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back