Vermetids?

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am deeply suspicious these are baby vermetid snails, looking for a confirmation... My cerith snails have been going crazy of late, but these seem like they're not mobile at all.

Vermetids.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its so small its hard to tell. Looks like spirorbid worms maybe

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its so small its hard to tell. Looks like spirorbid worms maybe
I got a coral from someone who has vermetids. I carefully removed every single one that I found and then gave the corals a bayer dip, and 4 rinse baths (I'm serious about protecting my shrimp). That's why I suspect them. Starting to find a lot of these little curlicues on the glass sides of the tank...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like spirorbids if they are spreading super fast. For vermetids I usually will take the coral off any old rock or frag because my old tank had so much and i would cut my hand up all the time.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like spirorbids if they are spreading super fast. For vermetids I usually will take the coral off any old rock or frag because my old tank had so much and i would cut my hand up all the time.
I think you're right, I think they are spirorbids. I have not seen any mucus webs and they seem to stay pretty small. Research says that they're a sign of a maturing tank (YAY!!!! Also great because I plan to add an anemone next week...) and will likely have a big spike then come back down as the tank matures further. Research said harmless and reef safe, so frankly I'm okay with it.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get ready spirorbids are very annoying to scrape off glass but cant really been seen on rock too much, and dont bother corals. I see your tank been up and running for a while so you should be matured enough for the first anemone. Check your local forum and here on reef2reef for a cheaper bta at first. My LFS started selling btas for 100 for even green ones recently and its a ripoff

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get ready spirorbids are very annoying to scrape off glass but cant really been seen on rock too much, and dont bother corals. I see your tank been up and running for a while so you should be matured enough for the first anemone. Check your local forum and here on reef2reef for a cheaper bta at first. My LFS started selling btas for 100 for even green ones recently and its a ripoff
I have a very good relationship with my LFS. Definitely cheaper than what you're talking about. Acid wash and acid rain go for $75 if they're super large, but other than that they're much cheaper. Done some day and night tank parameter checks to make sure I've got good stability. And using drawstring media bags over my powerheads to avoid any unfortunate incidents as the nem settles. Though I have a spot that I'm really hoping it'll just settle...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back