Vermitid? I don’t see any webs or coil bodies

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out what this is. These spikes are growing on different liverocks in my aquarium. I thought they were vermitids but I don’t recall ever seeing webs. Plus I don’t notice a body beneath the spike. They are pretty small. Please help.

09C044A4-C9DC-44A6-8AC9-14E60C62ABEF.jpeg 203523A1-6D41-42DC-9C1C-0D012D28F466.jpeg

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Vermatid worms! If you can remove the rock, they break off easily with tweezers or needle-nose pliers. I've crushed them in the tank with plyers before as well. Some say to put superglue over their tube endings and smother them inside as well...I haven't done this, though.

OP
OP
Warpigdave

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Vermatid worms! If you can remove the rock, they break off easily with tweezers or needle-nose pliers. I've crushed them in the tank with plyers before as well. Some say to put superglue over their tube endings and smother them inside as well...I haven't done this, though.
Thanks but I don’t see any bodies to break off. And i read you can’t just break off the tubes. I’m not sure what to break off.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I don’t see any bodies to break off. And i read you can’t just break off the tubes. I’m not sure what to break off.
Can def break them off. Use needle nose pliers. Tube and the body that’s attached to the rock.

JAIME_MTY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I don’t see any bodies to break off. And i read you can’t just break off the tubes. I’m not sure what to break off.If
I’m trying to figure out what this is. These spikes are growing on different liverocks in my aquarium. I thought they were vermitids but I don’t recall ever seeing webs. Plus I don’t notice a body beneath the spike. They are pretty small. Please help.

09C044A4-C9DC-44A6-8AC9-14E60C62ABEF.jpeg 203523A1-6D41-42DC-9C1C-0D012D28F466.jpeg
If you can remove rock and break off shells outside, they will continue to multiply if left unchecked, I had all my rocks covered and they irritated my corals to the point that i had to shut it down and restart from scratch.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break off the tubes! The worm is down at the bottom of the brown stuff. At the base of the tube is usually a small bump the same color as the tube. As they grow, the tubes tend to get bigger.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back