Vermitid Snails in Frag Tank

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large infestations of the small ones can damage corals. I have some LPS that have declined. I scrape them off and they return rapidly. I recently put in ten bumblebee snails and can report that they do consume them. All of them went immediately to the infested LPS, and have stayed there. I can see them inserting their proboscis into the vermetid. I was always skeptical, but bumblebees definitely help based on my observations.

They are next to impossible to get rid of. I think we can only hope to keep them in check. Good luck.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large infestations of the small ones can damage corals. I have some LPS that have declined. I scrape them off and they return rapidly. I recently put in ten bumblebee snails and can report that they do consume them. All of them went immediately to the infested LPS, and have stayed there. I can see them inserting their proboscis into the vermetid. I was always skeptical, but bumblebees definitely help based on my observations.

They are next to impossible to get rid of. I think we can only hope to keep them in check. Good luck.
Glad you're having luck with the bumblebees. I've had a small variety grow all over lps skeletons without them causing any problems... like I said, there are several types.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back