Vertex Aquaristik RX6 Pump (Calcium Reactor)

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!

My RX6 pump's impeller bit the dust and I can't for the life of me find a replacement. Any ideas out there?

Yes, I can replace the pump, but all the fittings on the reactor are metric. Even though I am in Canada, we don't use metric for plumbing. So, the replacement unions I need will take forever to get here (especially these days). I have a pump to use, but would rather re-use the existing hardware if possible (or replace, like for like).

TIA!

Last edited:

ruhmreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sr to hear that...mine still working but i am really confuse when Vertex was out of business. i am looking around for more post and this is what I really scare for

ruhmreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took some research and some say sicce pump 3.0 can work but you need some mod for that

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is not the issue, I have a pump to replace it. The problem is the metric plumbing, and the fact they hard glued the union fittings onto the stock pump. I think I found a source for metric PVC, but if I can't get metric to imperial, then I'm back to square one. Finding a european pump might be a good route...

That said, the pump is fine, it's just an impeller problem... In any other pump it would be a $20 fix...

In the mean time, I'm going to have to just get a new reactor...

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you replace just the impeller? As mention, Syncra 3 impeller fits that pump. I found a couple on Aquacave

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex appears to be OOB. Can you connect your new pump with soft tubing and hose clams? This does a good job of bridging the gap between metric and SAE.

A bit of heat from a heat gun can stretch vinyl tubing a bit to fit quite a bit larger than it really wants to...

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex appears to be OOB. Can you connect your new pump with soft tubing and hose clams? This does a good job of bridging the gap between metric and SAE.

A bit of heat from a heat gun can stretch vinyl tubing a bit to fit quite a bit larger than it really wants to...

I could do that, yes. But I would rather not, at least until I can get replacement unions and build onto the current piping; there is very little stock piping, so I don't want to start cutting things off.

I'll go back to my original point to posting. I'm not looking for help attaching a new pump; I'm looking for suggestions or information on the stock pump, and equivalent parts...

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the solution?
I'm about to get one Vertex Reactor I found here. So I would really like to know if this can be fixed.
What feed pump do you use?

I was hoping to adapt it to the Quite One 1200 I have just sitting around.

For the solution, I found two options. First, to not manipulate the OEM piping and fittings, a metric union and barbed fittings should work.

Second, cutting off the unions to free up the ~25mm OD piping, then 1" flex tubing should fit over top (might need a heat gun to loosen up the tubing). Then adapt a barbed fitting to your pump. The biggest problem is really the lack of 'slack' between the unions, but if planned out and cut well, it should work.

I just went and bought another reactor, so I have something functional and reliable before I start experimenting. I did find a couple metric PVC plumbing supply shops here in Canada, so I am feeling optimistic. I'm going to need to rebuild my frag system, so I'll either do one of those solutions, or just use the reactor body as a fluidized sand filter for my clownfish tanks... But, I digress... It's not the end of the world if the pump dies, lol...

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the solution?
I'm about to get one Vertex Reactor I found here. So I would really like to know if this can be fixed.
What feed pump do you use?

It looks like the solution came in the box that my new Reef Octopus CR140, which was just delivered yesterday.

The pump has the exact fittings, or so it seems. (I did a test fit). So, I'm going to buy one of these pumps and test it out.

chill903

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Bought a Vertex reactor at the end of last year, and the pump failed a couple of months ago. Can't find a replacement Vertex pump setup. It is infuriating to see such an expensive piece of equipment fail, and I considered trashing it.

After a number of false starts and roadblocks, I was able to engineer a perfect fit to replace the pump.

The Sicce pump has 1/2" threads, and the old pump used *cemented low profile metric PVC fittings*.

After a week or so of intense Googling, I was able to source a near exact match for the metric union, but had to modify some imperial PVC parts to make the final jump between the union and the pump. The included photo shows the old (OEM) pump on the right, with my new Frankenstein mod on the left.

The unions took nearly two months to arrive from China, so this was a *slow* fix, but it can be done.

IMG_4040.jpg

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Bought a Vertex reactor at the end of last year, and the pump failed a couple of months ago. Can't find a replacement Vertex pump setup. It is infuriating to see such an expensive piece of equipment fail, and I considered trashing it.

After a number of false starts and roadblocks, I was able to engineer a perfect fit to replace the pump.

The Sicce pump has 1/2" threads, and the old pump used *cemented low profile metric PVC fittings*.

After a week or so of intense Googling, I was able to source a near exact match for the metric union, but had to modify some imperial PVC parts to make the final jump between the union and the pump. The included photo shows the old (OEM) pump on the right, with my new Frankenstein mod on the left.

The unions took nearly two months to arrive from China, so this was a *slow* fix, but it can be done.

This is awesome, thanks for the feedback. Can you post up some links or part numbers to help myself and others in their searching?

I'm still going to go the route of getting the same pump as the CR140 to try on mine, but a fall back option would be great!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news everyone! ()

I finally got around to buying a second pump for the CR-140 (mentioned above); I guess a new 200+ gallon frag system was enough motivation for me to pick this back up... Anyway, it's a perfect fit!

1607647942896.png

I haven't fired it up yet, it will be dry for a couple months yet because the CO2 hardware is on back order; something about a pandemic and broken supply chains. It is super nice to be able to repurpose the old junk I hang onto for what seems like no reason, lol.

Here's the pump:

Select the CR-140 adapter kit. It's that easy.

Funny enough, they do have this pump a bit cheaper as open box, so that's what I ordered. They forgot to add the adapter kit, so they shipped me the full fittings set. Good deal!

chill903

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a matter of picking up a pump with an adapter kit, that’s a whole heck of a lot easier than rolling your own adapter. Thanks for the link!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a matter of picking up a pump with an adapter kit, that’s a whole heck of a lot easier than rolling your own adapter. Thanks for the link!

Yup, exactly. Literally plug and play.

The CR-140 is almost identical to the Vertex, I wonder if RO bought up the company or something...

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this also fit an RX-C6D Vertex Calcium Reactor? Or is it too different?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this also fit an RX-C6D Vertex Calcium Reactor? Or is it too different?
No clue. My photo above is of the Vertex RX6, not the RO CR-140 (but, like I said, they look almost identical). The RX-C6D looks quite different.

If your RX-C6D is the same as chill903's photo above, then it looks like different fittings.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back