Very Disappointed In SaltwaterAquarium.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

It was after much debate, that I decided to post this. I wanted to give Saltwater Aquarium as much opportunity as possible to resolve my issue, but thus far they have not really responded back to my order issue, in 10 days.

I've done ALOT of business with them, and was always happy, but my last order was for an Arctic Chiller, which did not work out of the box. I tried to trouble-shoot directly with JBJ, who only referred me to the manufacturer, who told me to contact the seller. I messaged them directly via my order dashboard, along with sending an email. I did receive a reply back, but multiple attempts now to resolve the issue, and either replace or refund my purchase has resulted in a run-around, or no reply at all.

Very, very disappointed in a company that I once really enjoyed ordering from. Yet another email sent today, has gone unanswered, despite being able to see that it has been open and read at least twice today.

I do hope they resolve the issue, but this whole experience has really soured me on them as a company.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. They've always done right by me, and cross-shipped any replacements ive needed. What's wrong with the Chiller?

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. They've always done right by me, and cross-shipped any replacements ive needed. What's wrong with the Chiller?

Chiller simply doesn't chill the water. The compressor comes on, runs for about 3 minutes, then shuts off for about 10, then runs again for 3 minutes. I tried all the troubleshooting tips on JBJ's site, but it simply won't lower the water temp.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a chiller so I can't comment on the unit now working. Out of curiosity, did it say anywhere in the instructions to let the chiller stand upright for a certain period of time before plugging it in? Appliances with refrigerant may not work properly when they are on their side and not put upright for a certain period of time. Not sure if this is the case here but some food for thought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its likely the probe, but being a New unit, the process is simple:
Send an RA and send out a new unit and retain the customer. Courtesy is the first thing missing here from a seller.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can set the temp to whatever I wish, but the water temp remains the same. I even tried calibrating it to my Apex, and no luck getting it to chill. :(

Sorry to hear that. Normally, they are very reliable IMO. From time to time, the temperature probe needs to be replaced, but it doesn’t seem to be the problem here. JBJ should send you a new one and send you a return label for the defective chiller. I would dispute the charges on your credit card if you don’t get a resolution soon.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long are you waiting to chill, and how large is the unit? Also how many GPH do you have going through it?

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a chiller so I can't comment on the unit now working. Out of curiosity, did it say anywhere in the instructions to let the chiller stand upright for a certain period of time before plugging it in? Appliances with refrigerant may not work properly when they are on their side and not put upright for a certain period of time. Not sure if this is the case here but some food for thought.

Interesting. No, it did not say that anywhere in the manual. Not sure if that is a factor.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long are you waiting to chill, and how large is the unit? Also how many GPH do you have going through it?

I allowed 24 hours. The pump is a variable speed Siccee. I have played around with the flow, from low (300GPH) to 1100GPH. Neither approach made a difference.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hair Algae Wizard sorry to hear about your expedite with SaltwaterAquarium. To @vetteguy53081’s point its easier to take the return and create goodwill with the customer.

For what it’s worth I’ve had a similar issue with MarineDepot. I purchased a RedSea product which I ordered by mistake. Their Q&A says if you mis-order its better to take the order and then return within 60 Days. So I did exactly that. As soon as I received my order and confirmed that the Red Sea item was in there I went to submit a return. To my surprise Marine Depot replies that it can’t take back my item.

I had doubts about them before, but this puts them further down the list of companies to recommend or support.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely the probe, but being a New unit, the process is simple:
Send an RA and send out a new unit and retain the customer. Courtesy is the first thing missing here from a seller.

Agree. Frankly, I'm kinda shocked that this has dragged on. I always thought SWA.com was a great place to shop. Thus far, it's not if you have an issue! :(

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to hold down the up/down buttons and the digital temp starts flashing. Can you get the temperature on the LCD to start flashing by holding one or both buttons at the same time?

I bought a used JBJ chiller about 10 years ago and it still runs. I recharged it with freon last summer.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to hold down the up/down buttons and the digital temp starts flashing. Can you get the temperature on the LCD to start flashing by holding one or both buttons at the same time?

I bought a used JBJ chiller about 10 years ago and it still runs. I recharged it with freon last summer.

Hi. Yes, I can.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you adjust that number very low is the compressor turning on and chilling the water?

You might want it hook it up to a 5 gallon bucket with a pump and test it at 60 degrees. See if the water gets cold.

It seems irregular that the compressor is turning on but not chilling the water. It should be doing something. Leave it on for longer than 15 min because it takes awhile to kick in.

I would understand if the compressor did not turn on at all - but since it's on .. sounds like your temp setting is too high or the LCD is broken. I guess also possible the thermometer is broken or improperly wired but those are durable and should have passed Quality control.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just realizing - possible the resting/default temp (whatever temperature it thinks your water is at) is too low. That would also cause this problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back