Very high KH & Ca 17dkh and 520-600ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
muriatic acid, sea-chem acid buffer, or I use ball's fruit fresh (untested in reefs) It's what I had on hand :)

The fruit fresh is an organic acid like vinegar (it contains ascorbic acid and citric acid) which will not permanently lower alk. As soon as bacteria metabolize it, the alk comes back.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have no idea what's going on. Tank is super high. Starting to think those API tests just suck.

I'm using reef crystals. Only thing is I'm using tap and prime. I know people say use RO but that's just not an option right now. I live far from LFS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
api does suck

Bad batch of salt?

Have you tested the salt water before you add it to your tank to see what it is?
I used to use API now I use Salifert for CA, MG, and hannah for alk. I also have a triton
I used to use RC too but now use Instant ocean. RC will have levels above average if you ask me. My Ca was always at 500 with Rc no issues but i like it at 415 - 450 anywhere in that range works for me.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would confirm your alk is that high before adding an acid. I agree with using RO water if it's an option. Maybe consider having a friend or the store test your water to confirm the results. I think it would be better to use a different test kit to make sure the results are consistent also.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White distilled vinegar is safer. muriatic splash on you and off to the hospital use vinegar.

But vinegar is not suitable to lower alkalinity.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid is heavier then water (goes straight to the bottom unless premixed in a separate container of water before added to the tank) the fumes displace all the oxygen over the open bottle and can harm the nose and lungs. It can cause burns as mentioned earlier.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used muriatic acid to do this in the past. But never for this much of a correction. Fumes and burns are a serious concern and the utmost caution is required. Also need to use an airstone to blow off the generated CO2. Glad to see the OP bought a RODI unit. In this case, it's the best longterm solution.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But vinegar is not suitable to lower alkalinity.

HI @Randy Holmes-Farley, hope you are well and safe. To be fair to BRS I think the idea of their video suggesting household vinegar, was only for use in an emergency situation, such as a kalk reactor or doser overdosing. The idea was to quickly counter the possible lethal effect to your livestock by temporarily countering Ph and high alkalinity, just so you had enough time to find a more sustainable source such as mixing up some new salt water batch to do a large water change.

Out of interest do you think this is viable, how long would it take for the bacteria to utilise the carbon source of the vinegar to metabolise the vinegar and produce more carbonate.?

Also I am a little confused by the other posts calculation of using 9 dKH source water and mixing it with Reef Salt from a bucket with a suggested average alkalinity of say 8 dKH would produce a water mix off 17 dKH. Would not averages apply in this situation not accumulation.? Seems a little confusing to me.

Best wishes from across the pond, stay safe.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI @Randy Holmes-Farley, hope you are well and safe. To be fair to BRS I think the idea of their video suggesting household vinegar, was only for use in an emergency situation, such as a kalk reactor or doser overdosing. The idea was to quickly counter the possible lethal effect to your livestock by temporarily countering Ph and high alkalinity, just so you had enough time to find a more sustainable source such as mixing up some new salt water batch to do a large water change.

Out of interest do you think this is viable, how long would it take for the bacteria to utilise the carbon source of the vinegar to metabolise the vinegar and produce more carbonate.?

Also I am a little confused by the other posts calculation of using 9 dKH source water and mixing it with Reef Salt from a bucket with a suggested average alkalinity of say 8 dKH would produce a water mix off 17 dKH. Would not averages apply in this situation not accumulation.? Seems a little confusing to me.

Best wishes from across the pond, stay safe.

Would carbonated water be a better approach for emergencies?

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HCl is not scary. Use gloves. Wear a painting respirator. Pour carefully into a glass graduated cylinder. Aerate your water after addition to restore pH.

0.03 mL of concentrated HCl (get the 33% stuff, not the Eco safe - sold as jasco muriatic acid at lowes) per liter of saltwater per 1dkh
1.4mL per 10 gal per dkh

7mL per 50 gal per dkh

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid is heavier then water (goes straight to the bottom unless premixed in a separate container of water before added to the tank) the fumes displace all the oxygen over the open bottle and can harm the nose and lungs. It can cause burns as mentioned earlier.

The fumes are harmful, but displacement of O2 is not part of the issue. There is way to little to be significant. Evaporating water has a far bigger effect displacing O2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would carbonated water be a better approach for emergencies?

Carbonated water also has zero effect on alkalinity. It is one of the late Albert Thiel's incredibly stupid mistakes to claim in many publications that it did, and soem of these are unfortunately still on the internet.

No amount of adding or removing CO2 from seawater has any effect on alkalinity. It only alters pH.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back