Very long sweepers at night. Need help to ID

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m seeing some strange organisms in my tank at night. At first I thought vermetid snails but I don’t see any tube-like shell. These sweepers or whatever they are, are VERY long, some probably 12-13 inches. They are soft and fuzzy at the base and I can pick them off with a tweezers. You can really see one of them in the video.

CEA17AC1-CB19-4435-8A0F-E8F7AB323B09.jpeg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long do they take to extend? retract? if you turn off the lights during the day and shine your light at them do you see them? by the way hoe means hope. i just saw that mistype, lol

OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're ctenophores. Harmless filter feeders.
You might be correct, thank you. I’ve never seen these in any of my tanks over the years. They seem to be multiplying I have a lot of them. This tank is fairly new so I only have a few frags of Zoas and they seem to bother them a lot at night. Worried they will really bother some sps frags.

OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back up in case anyone else has experience with these. Pretty positive that they are Ctenophores. They are multiplying like crazy. Can only see them at night but they are everywhere. Just want to make sure they dont sting or anything like that.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they have an available food source, then you'll see their population grow. As your tank matures, you'll see more and more critters, especially at night. Nighttime viewing is just as cool as daylight. That's what makes reefing so amazing, the proliferation of life and biodiversity.

OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have an available food source, then you'll see their population grow. As your tank matures, you'll see more and more critters, especially at night. Nighttime viewing is just as cool as daylight. That's what makes reefing so amazing, the proliferation of life and biodiversity.
This is true but more specifically I'm asking if anyone has any experience with these and if they can bother/smother corals. Seems like they can reproduce rapidly. I've never had them before and from my research it seems they are pretty rare in in the hobby. Thanks.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't call them rare, it's just that there are many places these animals exist within a reef tank that are out of sight. If you've had a tank for any length of time, you'll see all kinds of critters throughout the life span of the tank, some of which have "cycles" where their numbers ebb & flow over time.
One of my coolest tanks was my 15g nano with 10g display fuge in the 90's. I had a 150w mh on the display and pc grow lights on the fuge. The fuge had about 6 or 7 types of macro algae, ranging from halimeda to caulerpa and a DSB. The micro-fauna in the fuge was insane, worms, snails, shrimps, pods, crabs, etc... At night, both the display and fuge would be a virtual soup of micro fauna. It's probably how I kept a porites w/xmas tree worms alive for so long. I also kept a spotted mandarin in that system for years without any supplemental feedings. Sadly, all the pics I had of that tank were lost when I moved to SoCal. :mad:

OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not just cool microfauna. They are really taking over. Attaching themselves to zoanthids now too. Some parts of the tank at night are completely covered with These Ctenophors

OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- these things are getting out of control. Literally growing on the polyps of some of my zoas. Its starting to get to plague proportions. I am going to stop feeding Redsea AB+ as I believe the zooplankton from that is whats causing them to reproduce so well. If anyone has other ideas please let me know.

killergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely will be feeding on the zooplankton. From my experience with them, they tend to feed dusk and night, so switching your feeding schedule to primarily day time or late morning will also diminish their proliferation. I never had any problem with them actually irritating or damaging my corals. I found they tend to stay on the underside of rocks or plate corals and then progressively come out as it gets dark. I had one from 2013- late 2015 that grew quite large, sweepers over 20" by the end of its time in my tank. Never irritated the plate coral it was on, even when they grew to near the same size. I simply fed the plate coral during the day. Sold both of them in late 2015 as the jelly always attached to the plate underside by morning. I've had far more irritation to my tank inhabitants from vermitid and other filter feeders than I ever had from any of these. They are large, but I found it more as an exciting oddity than a pest problem. I never actively fed them and the populations grew and diminished besides the large main one which was stably hosted by the plate coral. Perhaps they were being consumed by one of my fish/shrimp though.

Attached are some photos of the large comb jelly (my first one) from February 2014 on the plate coral, and the plate coral during the day with the jelly hidden underneath.

Are you finding that the zoas are regressing or lacking proper extension during the day? A563097F-EB01-4D0B-BACC-AA5A3A8C541F.jpeg 6F1702AD-7159-4D72-A435-3BD98FE8F5C9.jpeg 00EE9506-780D-4F91-8A36-4542F53734B0.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2721.MOV
    38 MB
OP
OP
K

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely will be feeding on the zooplankton. From my experience with them, they tend to feed dusk and night, so switching your feeding schedule to primarily day time or late morning will also diminish their proliferation. I never had any problem with them actually irritating or damaging my corals. I found they tend to stay on the underside of rocks or plate corals and then progressively come out as it gets dark. I had one from 2013- late 2015 that grew quite large, sweepers over 20" by the end of its time in my tank. Never irritated the plate coral it was on, even when they grew to near the same size. I simply fed the plate coral during the day. Sold both of them in late 2015 as the jelly always attached to the plate underside by morning. I've had far more irritation to my tank inhabitants from vermitid and other filter feeders than I ever had from any of these. They are large, but I found it more as an exciting oddity than a pest problem. I never actively fed them and the populations grew and diminished besides the large main one which was stably hosted by the plate coral. Perhaps they were being consumed by one of my fish/shrimp though.

Attached are some photos of the large comb jelly (my first one) from February 2014 on the plate coral, and the plate coral during the day with the jelly hidden underneath.

Are you finding that the zoas are regressing or lacking proper extension during the day? A563097F-EB01-4D0B-BACC-AA5A3A8C541F.jpeg 6F1702AD-7159-4D72-A435-3BD98FE8F5C9.jpeg 00EE9506-780D-4F91-8A36-4542F53734B0.jpeg
during the day most of the zoas are open and fine but there are a couple frags that are bothered during the day. At night is when they seem to be most bothered. If it were just a couple of them i wouldn't worry but they are out of control at night. Like the entire tank is filled with swaying hair like tentacles

killergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
during the day most of the zoas are open and fine but there are a couple frags that are bothered during the day. At night is when they seem to be most bothered. If it were just a couple of them i wouldn't worry but they are out of control at night. Like the entire tank is filled with swaying hair like tentacles
The way I see it your options are manual removal and/or reducing available food supply. They only consume via filter feeding, so stopping your zooplankton feeding will certainly help. If it were me, I'd either lower the supply of food and wait, or lower the supply of food and manually remove many of them. I don't see them as a pest but more an organism out of control (like GSP or Xenia) so I would personally be okay with a small number left as long as the population was stable. They are benthic organisms so you should be able to remove their rocks/frag hosts during the day time and remove them from those with no worries. If the rocks are too porous and it's difficult to get to their locations then try once they go out for feeding at night. I would start with the most affected frags first and do a bit at a time. They're a bit tricky to dislodge from rocks because of how narrow they are.

Is the RedSea AB+ a necessary component of your coral upkeep? I find that certain "coral foods" end up providing so much excess filter food that I'm proliferating filtering worms/sponges etc in the tank instead of really changing coral growth rates. I don't normally mind but it seems to be causing you a problem in this instance.

killergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're having difficulty seeing them on the rocks (mine were clear and harder to identify when the tentacles weren't extended) look for a slightly raised central groove down the body lengthwise. Thats the thickest section of their body and easier to see on a rock out of the water. You can identify it in my first reply in the yellow outlined picture.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I open thread with something like that, I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it's really odd, I make few videos under macro/microscope, I touch them, at the moment I don't think I have in the DT, and waiting to get answer about them. It's really ODD creature, and looking how easy is multiplying, I'm not sure if I have it, will need to turn off everything and to do complete restart, they multiply just from cutting peace of the string and regrow really fast.
Check if you wish my thread and are yours the same?

Regards

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Kopka , Because I have this creatures in DT tank on few corals I make my research. This one and few other sp which we can find in our DT as a hitchhikers are carnivorous, they feed mainly on zooplankton, some on crustaceans like copepods, small shrimps etc. They can overtake your tank if you use food like that for your fish and corals. So you to be able to reduce them, for some time you have to stop feeding them, or stop introducing some of the foods they eat. No other way to take them, them competitor or predator in that case is Beroe ovata (another type of ctenophores) which feed on them. The other way is like you was think to restart your system :(
When I introduce it n my DT I saw it on a Sea Fan/Gorgonian and kill it with peroxide but it took really much, that way if you have many to treat you can kill your tank inhabitants.
Wish you luck!

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're benthic ctenophores. Harmless filter feeders.
Hi @Crabs McJones , I read about it and isn't that harmless like it look, because like the @Kopka post, it can overtake your tank and to kill your corals only feeding it with most of the type of food we use to feed our corals and fish. it's carnivores and feed on zooplankton, small crustaceans and such. It can infest the tank in no time.
I think isn't reef safe the particular one, because it have only one predator which can take over it and is Beroe Ovata (another Ctenophores SP).

Regards

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back