Very nervous today about the tank

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in VA and my power went out yesterday during our mini blizzard at noon while I was at work outside temps low 30's dipping into the 20's. There was nothing I could do but see how everything was once I got home and plug in my inverter. Luckily as I got home, the power came back on. The tank(13.5 Evo) had nothing for 8 hours, the temp dropped to 68 from 79 (house temp got to 62). Clowns were doing good, most coral was retracted, BTA was half in and I did not see my YWG and pistol. Let the temp come back up normally. Today everything is doing good, YWG and pistol are doing their thing too. I'm not sure how much lower the temp could have gone but was glad I had a plan, even though I couldn't get home quick. Was happier the power came back when it did.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank should and heater will gradually bring temperature back up. Hopefully IF you have a controller, it reset to original settings for lights, etc

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been said elsewhere you can take a bucket of tank water and vigorously pour it back in, breaking the surface, for a few minutes every hour to help re-oxygenate. (Kind of like CPR for fish.) I’ve never had to try it myself.

EDIT: We cross-posted... I see your power just came back on.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got home and water was 70 degrees. It's back to 74 now. Looks like the inverts powered through and I've only seen one fish so far but the lights are off so they are in their rock caves and sand. Guess will have to wait till tomorrow to assess everything. Thanks for all the replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back