Very new to the hobby, but very excited!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. I’m currently in the middle of remodeling my home so that we can put up a 150 gallon. Right now I have a 36 gallon bow front. Good or bad idea to transfer everything or just start fresh in the 150?
Welcome!

Vote start fresh but know temptation to move certain things will happen; just dip corals and practice some care in transfers

Glad you joined

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably find yourself blending... or just starting new. The live rock from a 36 can seed the 150 but not be enough to avoid a cycle in a 150 in my humble opinion. When I started my new build, I had aspirations of reusing my sump, my skimmer, etc. As the process went on, I replaced the sump, bought new well... everything. I had an overabundance of rock, so I was able to remove the vermetids and transfer. So far, so good. Few casualties.
I would suggest that you get a brute can, start cycling your rock in that and but equipment suitable for a 150.
There are a lot of methods you can use --- Dr. Tim's One and Only, Fritz Turbo, etc. That is a whole thread unto itself. I did use Dr. Tim's, in addition to all of my rock, as well as Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic salt.
Do your research, take your time, enjoy the process.
john stamos lol GIF by Lifetime

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So far so good. I’m currently in the middle of remodeling my home so that we can put up a 150 gallon. Right now I have a 36 gallon bow front. Good or bad idea to transfer everything or just start fresh in the 150?
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Transferring can be done but it can cause an otherwise stable tank to crash and lose everything. Also, setting up and starting fresh with the 150 is a good excuse to have two tanks... Just saying.
Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

OP
OP
D

dy26751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the support. I currently have some rock cycling in my garage for about 1 1/2 months for the 150 and probably just start fresh, it’s always fun to buy new corals and fish. Thoughts about just getting a 20 gallon for quarantine and the 40 gallon for second display tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back