Very new

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) I'm sure we have some reefers in that area! If you look into joining user groups there may be something close. Best of luck! I'm sure some users will be able to help more.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im brand new to the hobby and to R2R. Have 5 tanks, 1 saltwater. 3 months into my first saltwater aquarium. Have 1 clown fish, 2 duncan corals and a mass of GSP. I'm not really sure if I'm posting this right but does anyone know of any San Antonio saltwater clubs?

Welcome! Glad you joined. From talking with hobbyists coming by hobby club DFWMAS tables at Aquashella and Reef-A-Palooza, while there are VERY active hobbyists and sounds like at least two great LFSs (1 either end - don't know your area so I'm really no help) in San Antonio. It might just take someone saying, hey, let's meet at LFS or someone's home and finally San Antonio gets an active club going. If DFWMAS can assist you in any way, please message me (I volunteer as Secretary, which is considered DFWMAS Board position). Our club just looks to see what FMAS is doing, and we do simpler but similar. LOL

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in San Antonio, because I know there are a zillion - some are joining DFWMAS because we do zoom (and we're free for basic membership... but really TX is huge and you aren't really local):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
D

deadtacoinside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from San Antonio and a member of a Facebook group here locally. It’s a good group with a bunch of information
What is the group called? I don't have Facebook but I guess it's never to late to get one. I'd really like to join a group locally to trade info, coral, and to get to meet people who have this awesome hobby in common

OP
OP
D

deadtacoinside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. From talking with hobbyists coming by hobby club DFWMAS tables at Aquashella and Reef-A-Palooza, while there are VERY active hobbyists and sounds like at least two great LFSs (1 either end - don't know your area so I'm really no help) in San Antonio. It might just take someone saying, hey, let's meet at LFS or someone's home and finally San Antonio gets an active club going. If DFWMAS can assist you in any way, please message me (I volunteer as Secretary, which is considered DFWMAS Board position). Our club just looks to see what FMAS is doing, and we do simpler but similar. LOL

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in San Antonio, because I know there are a zillion - some are joining DFWMAS because we do zoom (and we're free for basic membership... but really TX is huge and you aren't really local):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
I'd love your advice and wisdom if you are willing to give some. What is DFWMAS?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love your advice and wisdom if you are willing to give some. What is DFWMAS?

Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (sorry - DFWMAS is easier to type and I don't have to worry with misspelling something lol) - it has website www.dfwmas.org, facebook public and private pages, instagram, youtube..... my favorite event so far is the LFS bus tour - rent a motorcoach bus and go to 4 or 5 LFSs... it includes everything - like a family friendly bar crawl... there is info on website home page and its forum... They held 3 frag swaps this year, monthly meetings with amazing guest speakers, ... pretty fun.

Club DFWMAS formed when 6 people decided to get together at a fish store. This coming year is 30 year anniversary!! I've only been in a couple years. This year, I met one of the founding members which is super cool; humble and fun guy so that made it wonderful.

Hope some day club will be around so my daughter can grow up and be in it too. Maybe even her kids someday... though first let's get her thru high school etc LOL

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! It seems like you've got some great resources already, which is fantastic! Can't wait to see some pictures of what your tank looks like!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back