Very skinny scopas tang

Bay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this scopas tang who came in fully quarantined but he's on the skinny side. The seller told me to feed it normally with bloodworms, mysis and nori which I'm feeding nori, plankton and mysis (he's not very aggressive at eating and will pick small pieces out of the water column). Short of hanging nori in there 24/7, is there anything else you guys have tried to fatten him up? This video shows how interested he is in nori.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a sunken belly! Tangs are nori eaters and like to pick all day. You said it in your OP....hang nori 24/7. I buy my nori at my local Asian market and feed daily. I also cut it in a specific way that makes eating easy. Check it out HERE.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to have @Jay Hemdal take a look at this, not knowing if it could be parasites or something else in the belly/intestines.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that fish is not well. You need to feed it aggressively like 10 or more times a day anything you can get it to eat or it’s not going to make it long.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a good quality frozen food to fatten fish up along with nori 24/7 for algae eaters. Feed 4 or 5 smaller meals a day if you can. If not home during day feed every hour for a few hours when home from work helps also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this scopas tang who came in fully quarantined but he's on the skinny side. The seller told me to feed it normally with bloodworms, mysis and nori which I'm feeding nori, plankton and mysis (he's not very aggressive at eating and will pick small pieces out of the water column). Short of hanging nori in there 24/7, is there anything else you guys have tried to fatten him up? This video shows how interested he is in nori.

Just checking- the fish was just shipped to you? Do you know the salinity of the shipping water compared to your tank? The reason I ask is that too fast of a rise will cause a fish to dehydrate and become lethargic. The fish will immediately look emaciated like this (you can see the ribs).
If the fish arrived in the bag that skinny, I would contact the shipper.
If this emaciation is simply due to lack of food, then feed multiple fatty food items as often as you can (but avoid uneaten food!). Be aware though, that when fish reach a certain point, they utilize liver tissue for energy, and that damage is permanent and can be eventually fatal.

Jay

OP
OP
Bay

Bay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking- the fish was just shipped to you? Do you know the salinity of the shipping water compared to your tank? The reason I ask is that too fast of a rise will cause a fish to dehydrate and become lethargic. The fish will immediately look emaciated like this (you can see the ribs).
If the fish arrived in the bag that skinny, I would contact the shipper.
If this emaciation is simply due to lack of food, then feed multiple fatty food items as often as you can (but avoid uneaten food!). Be aware though, that when fish reach a certain point, they utilize liver tissue for energy, and that damage is permanent and can be eventually fatal.

Jay
Hey Jay,
The salinity was pretty close from the shipped water and my water so it shouldn't be an issue with dehydration. He is picking on dried plankton so hope he gains weight. I did contact the shipper and they told me he should fatten up in a reef environment. I work from home so feed my fish several times a day so I'm hoping for the best.

OP
OP
Bay

Bay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the fish died, I fed my tank 20+ times a day but it just wasn't eating enough. Nibbling at every feeding. Super bummed about this guy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I know you were sold a quarantined fish, but parasites can slip by. At the very least, that fish was malnourished. I'd contact that seller, if you haven't already.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back