Very small white worms

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped a couple of montis I have in QT tonight and these very small white worms were all I found in the container. I’ve actually had nudibranchs come off one of the montis when I first dipped it a month ago, which is why these are in QT. These are not nudis. Best I can come up with is spionid worms but don’t really know. Any ideas?
These might be an 8th inch across curled up.

A770CC44-E77B-44DC-BAF9-0671AE45E4BC.jpeg 4ACA355C-8085-43A2-9ED0-745CD53742FC.jpeg

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like spionids. Does the tank have sand? Any fish or other predators?
No, it's a coral QT tank. No sand, no fish, just corals. I actually have just seen a couple of these worms on the back glass of the qt tank. Time for some more research.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's a coral QT tank. No sand, no fish, just corals. I actually have just seen a couple of these worms on the back glass of the qt tank. Time for some more research.
The reason I asked about sand is that spionids generally build sand tubes.
I wouldn't worry about them. With no substrate to live in, they're probably just lost, lol.
Also, if you're not feeding much, they could be hungry and searching for food.
I have a million of them in my display along with another million hair worms... I like them ;)

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I asked about sand is that spionids generally build sand tubes.
I wouldn't worry about them. With no substrate to live in, they're probably just lost, lol.
Also, if you're not feeding much, they could be hungry and searching for food.
I have a million of them in my display along with another million hair worms... I like them ;)
Gotcha. Yeah, if they don't feed on the corals then I'm good. Everything I see about spionids is the boring spionids. I haven't figured out if there are others yet but I see no evidence of these boring or having any type of tube.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Yeah, if they don't feed on the corals then I'm good. Everything I see about spionids is the boring spionids. I haven't figured out if there are others yet but I see no evidence of these boring or having any type of tube.
The boring ones don't generally cause problems unless you have acros... (neither do the exiting ones from what I've seen, lol)

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boring ones don't generally cause problems unless you have acros... (neither do the exiting ones from what I've seen, lol)
They are all kind of exciting I suppose, especially when you are learning and say oh *&%, what is this? :)

I do have a dippin dot acro in the qt but didn't dip it tonight because I was more concerned with the monti eating nudi's I am trying to avoid moving into the display tank. Saw something on one of the monti's tonight and thought maybe some new nudi's had popped up, instead I have learned what spionid worms are.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back