OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the results of my ICP rest, and almost everything was spot on, except potassium, which is a little low. I may buy some potassium, but I don’t know how important it is for coral growth, so I may do nothing. Apparently normal is around 410ish. Anyone else dose potassium?

Only other thing is my calcium is a little low. I might have to up the output on the calcium reactor, but corals are growing, so not like it’s critically low....
11630373-565B-4A7B-B3BB-85B82C266F0D.png

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, because of this ICP test, I am going down the trace element rabbit hole. I first bought the Brightwell potassium and Salifert potassium test kit. I have been dosing potassium for almost 2 weeks now and I have been able to get the level up to about 370 from 316, l but it seems to plateau there. Maybe consuming as fast as I dose? I also bought the Hanna iron tester. Of course, I tested at zero. I just started dosing Fergon iron tablets a couple days ago, and the test still detects nothing. I may increase the dosage here soon to see if I can get detectable levels. I also bought manganese chloride tetrahydrate and also a gram scale to measure the dose. I just mixed up a batch yesterday and dosed, but I have no way to measure, so I’ll be more conservative dosing that. So far, I can’t say I notice much. I did read that K dosing is good for blue corals and I think my blue Superman tenuis was losing color, and may be starting to regain some, but that is the only observed thing so far. I think it’s too soon for anything else. I will update as I dig further down this rabbit hole...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back