"Vibrant for Saltwater" in reef aquarium?

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try Vibrant to see if it could fix my algae problems.
But because they don't sell Vibrant here in The Netherlands I have bought a bottle off amazon from the US.
Now it arrived i see its a bottle "Vibrant for Saltwater aquariums" and not "Vibrant for reef aquariums".

Can I still use the Vibrant Saltwater in my reef aquarium, or will it be bad for my corals/anemones?

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like running a protein skimmer? (I have a protein skimmer running on the tank)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been skimmerless for 30 yrs and choose not to remove skimmate as I feel it is nutrients for the tank. Gas exchange is excellent with protein skimmer, however, Oxydator adds reactive H202 which is oxygen on steroids. Instead of ozone which is tooo reactive.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the saltwater not reef but I only have soft corals no Ill effects other than does kill coralline algae I dose 20 mls per week on my 210. Start with a half dose and increase if no issues.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use either reef version or saltwater it doesn't matter.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the saltwater version is just stronger than the reef due to high fish loads in fish only tanks

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the saltwater version is just stronger than the reef due to high fish loads in fish only tanks
yeah after some more reading, I also read that its probably just a higher concentration. So maybe its best if I just dose 50-75% of the dosage listed on the bottle.

I would do wcs and try carbon or bio pellets even 1st before a bottle of miracle.
D
In this tank im already battling algae/dinos/cyano for months. I've tried a lot of things but algae and cyano keeps comming back in no time. Thats why I want to try Vibrant.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah after some more reading, I also read that its probably just a higher concentration. So maybe its best if I just dose 50-75% of the dosage listed on the bottle.

In this tank im already battling algae/dinos/cyano for months. I've tried a lot of things but algae and cyano keeps comming back in no time. Thats why I want to try Vibrant.
Iirc it was the owner that said that. If youve got dinos id get a uv sterilizer. Worked for me.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Out of curiosity, what are you nitrates levels?

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc it was the owner that said that. If youve got dinos id get a uv sterilizer. Worked for me.
I have an UV sterilizer on the tank. At this moment I dont have dinos, I think the UV did a good job on that part, but doesnt help with the other algae problems.

Out of curiosity, what are you nitrates levels?
When testing the parameters I read 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, but thats probably because the algae is taking it.

Ya well the reactor runs all the time and i dont go dosing caps full of this or that. Lol.
Everyone runs their reefs diffrent.
D

Its not only running them different, its also having bad luck I gues...

I have 2 (separate) reef aquariums and I both run them the same. One of them is really good looking, no algae and fully stocked with good looking/growing corals.

And the second tank that I treat the same and also has the same water paramater is full covered in algae and I cant get it clean.

I think there is something wrong with the rocks or something, Maybe the rocks are having a high phosphates in them or something, I dont know....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been skimmerless for 30 yrs and choose not to remove skimmate as I feel it is nutrients for the tank. Gas exchange is excellent with protein skimmer, however, Oxydator adds reactive H202 which is oxygen on steroids. Instead of ozone which is tooo reactive.

Have you ever measured to see if it maintains oxygen saturation?

Do you monitor pH? CO2 exchange is generally a plus with a skimmer.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin foil hat***

Vibrant is actually algaecide and can cause problems in reef tanks, especially SPS. Use with caution :)

Ooops

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is "basically" dosing bacteria that you would grow on biopellets.

Really? I find that highly unlikely. Why do you think that is true?

Biopellets are metabolized by a highly specialized type of bacteria. Most bacteria cannot consume them.

If you dosed bacteria that are able to consume polyhydroxybutyrate (biopellets), why would that have the anti algae effects that vibrant claims?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin foil hat***

Vibrant is actually algaecide and can cause problems in reef tanks, especially SPS. Use with caution :)

Ooops

Still waiting for evidence that it is not a type of bacteria that the manufacturer claims.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for evidence that it is not a type of bacteria that the manufacturer claims.

The tin foil hat was meant to be that I am playing devils advocate or bizarre theory :)

1. 99% bacteria would be sludge
2. Documented killing of certain fish.
3. I found a forum where someone ran it through a MS or HMNR machine and found interesting data...but of course it is gone...

I have no real proof :) but I am suspicious of proprietary ingredients in any product that is.

Back