Vibrant. It works so well its S-C-A-R-Y

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used Vibrant in the past to eliminate Dinoflagellates -scum bubble algae- and it worked like a charm. Of course there was more to the solution besides Vibrant -Scrubbing and Siphoning the rock.... water changes...etc. But Vibrant kicked its butt. Just last night I noticed some Algae growth growing beyond tolerance on parts of my sandbed that my powerheads weren't hitting. So I last night around 9ph gave my 65 gallon tank a 5ml dosage of Vibrant. As of 11:30AM this morning the Algae is noticeably diminished! Its obvious. My first instinct was to leave the Algae alone because in small amounts its harmless -even beneficial. What say ye on minor to moderate Algae growth (not hair algae, just the green moss variety)... for Algae silently work to remove Nitrates. Whats the consensus? Just leave some Algae grow? Or nuke it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It may be diminished because the lights were out overnight. It works good but not that fast. As it helps many aquarists, it has also haunted a few of them

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Sir. I know what I've seen. It diminished Algae growth on my Sandbed overnight. And It killed the red bubble Algae I had infesting one of my live rock a few months ago within a week. It works. Im hesitant to dose anything in my system beyond Ca, kH or Mg..... For example It had been since 3/7 that I dosed 5ml of Vibrant. I've had zero side effects. All my corals are thriving. Torches, Hammers, Frogspawn... Acans....Zoas... Leathers... In my opinion if your tank is getting killed by GHA, Dino's....etc.. in addition to water changes Vibrant helps alot and so far its been harmless to my system at recommended dosage or below..

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya it works, but it has its dark sides as well. Good luck!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No two systems are the same and sometimes people have negative effects from it. I would always proceed with caution.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is basically the nuclear option for algae. I had a massive hair algae problem earlier this year and vibrant melted it all away in a couple of weeks. Of course that was followed by the worst Cyano bacteria outbreak imaginable. It also killed all of my Mexican turbo snails. Other snails and inverts were fine but for some reason the turbos didn’t make it. I have a little hair algae growing back on some rocks and I’ve been tempted to dose a small maintenance dose of vibrant but even that amount makes me worry that I’ll just lose my chaeto and some snails and my nutrients will go crazy again so I’ve avoided using any more of it.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef is running beautifully on its 5th Month since initial cycle. Only when I had a Dino outbreak at month 3 did I regularly dose Vibrant in addition to water changes and siphoning/scrubbing the afflicted rock -and that worked like a charm. Since then I dose nothing but Ca and Kh, An occasional Mg every month or so. Tank is on cruise control looking sweet, So last night I saw some Algae on the side of the tank with less flow. Instead of moving my powerheads I just dosed 1/2 dose of Vibrant. Its harmless in small doses over infrequent periods and it helps control algae alot. Im convinced.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is scary, do not dose if you dont have too:)
How is it scary?? I had a Dino outbreak which was largely contained to a single rock. Water changes and Vibrant 5ml per 50Gallons nuked it within 2 weeks. Zero effect on my Torches, Hammers, Frogspawn, Acans, Trachy's, Zoas.... zero effect on anything. Let me be scientific proof. Vibrant did nothing but end Algae. THAT is the question. The effect of suddenly *Eliminating* Algae, No question Vibrant kills Algae. Question is Algae has a role in your system. Vibrant for example Nuked my Chaeto.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it scary?? I had a Dino outbreak which was largely contained to a single rock. Water changes and Vibrant 5ml per 50Gallons nuked it within 2 weeks. Zero effect on my Torches, Hammers, Frogspawn, Acans, Trachy's, Zoas.... zero effect on anything. Let me be scientific proof. Vibrant did nothing but end Algae. THAT is the question. The effect of suddenly *Eliminating* Algae, No question Vibrant kills Algae. Question is Algae has a role in your system. Vibrant for example Nuked my Chaeto.

Examples of it killing corals, fish.

You basically made my point in your well thought out paragraph.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Examples of it killing corals, fish.

You basically made my point in your well thought out paragraph.
Between you and I. The #1 reason most people are fighting out of control Algae is starting their system with Dry Rock, aka Dead Rock. It has zero biologicals and no amount of "bacteria in a bottle" can compare to real live rock. People today go about claiming "OMG... If I start with real Live Rock I will get x..y..z... pests". In the old days we CULTURED our live Rock in high salinity. I would rather culture Rock rich in life, rich in bacteria of millions of forms from the real ocean than start with cement. So... for the record my systems are all "Live Rock". Either ocean direct -and cultured- of which I have several pieces in my tanks, or from years old reef tanks where I got a piece from a local reef shop. And.... when I shop a good reef shop -I dont dump their water. I add that water to my tanks. I can hear the screams already. Yes. I incorporate water, rock and biology from other established systems.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Vibrant works very effectively to curb Algae. But like anything else, -dose in moderation. We dose Ca and kH all the time -in moderation. Vibrant is a very useful tool and its worth every penny in my opinion. Historically Im dosing 5ml of Vibrant once ever 6 weeks per 65 gallons or less? Where Im dosing 20ml of Ca & kH weekly on average in a 65gallon as my Corals and Coraline Algae consume. I strive for 9-10 dKH, 400-420Ca in a Soft Coral and LPS reef.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, like @The_Skrimp says, I’m using it now in my 20-gallon, not overdosing at all, and my large Mexican Turbo Snails are dropping dead one by one. :(
respectfully, I think that the fact you are running a 20 gallon might have alot to do with any issues you are currently having or may have yet to have in the future. 20 gallon is a Nano tank. Mexican Turbo Snails which I love, tend to be the most hardy easy to keep snails. My first guess is they died from a toxic environment, or they died from lack of food supply. Among numerous other possibilities, having zero knowledge of your tank -Vibrant could have easily eliminated all the Algae in your tank which snails rely on as food source. Lack of food supply would not kill your snails literally overnight. -Again, 20 Gallon tank is super sensitive to any one of dozens of possible broken equilibriums.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
respectfully, I think that the fact you are running a 20 gallon might have alot to do with any issues you are currently having or may have yet to have in the future. 20 gallon is a Nano tank. Mexican Turbo Snails which I love, tend to be the most hardy easy to keep snails. My first guess is they died from a toxic environment, or they died from lack of food supply. Among numerous other possibilities, having zero knowledge of your tank -Vibrant could have easily eliminated all the Algae in your tank which snails rely on as food source. Lack of food supply would not kill your snails literally overnight. -Again, 20 Gallon tank is super sensitive to any one of dozens of possible broken equilibriums.

Are you a vibrant spokesperson?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is just 5 months old and one example.

Completely discounting others experiences is no way to be scientific or to use critical thinking skills.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have seen it crash several tanks
Let me be specific in this matter. On the long list of "Top Causes of Tank Crashes" any Bacteria supplement -Vibrant or other- are near the bottom of the list. At the top of the list are too small water volume for given life in the system. Nutrient Import/Export imbalances allowed to continue with disregard for the signs, Heater/Chiller malfunctions.... I was merely communicating my actual experience in my 65 gallon healthy reef system that I found moderate dosing of Vibrant infrequently between water changes to be very effective at curbing algae outbreaks. That said, I believe Vibrant is merely a mitigating factor. Appropriate nutrient import/export, QUALITY LIVE ROCK, Flow, Filtration, routine maintenance and water changes are far more important... but an occasional 5ml vibrant/50gallons volume I have found to be a useful tool. Overdosing? no kidding. Does that imply we give up Ca/dKH/Mg ? One can do immediate harm overdosing dKH! Comon now. -And finally, I dont work for any company! But I am available!

So...... Lets talk about some great two part dosing products from ESV B-Ionic!

Back