Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Katieandjon

Katieandjon Active Member

Hi, does vibrant get rid of green wire algae? It's so far indestructible!

2. Curryb15

Curryb15 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

See my above post !

Katieandjon likes this.
  3. Katieandjon

Thanks, I can't see any mention of green wire algae though. I can see the results with green hair algae, but my question is specifically referring to green wire algae.

4. UWC

UWC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Looking fantastic :)

Any pics of your algae?

5. Katieandjon

[​IMG]

Ignore the flatworm... you can see the algae in this pic. There's little tufts of it all over the tank. For months we've plucked it out, but it just grows back. Treated with fluconazole which shifted the GHA but not the GWA.

6. Curryb15

Curryb15 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Maybe better managed with a alage water or grazer ? How old is the tank and what are the parameters? Maintenance routine?

7. Katieandjon

Tank is coming up 2 years old. It's a 94L fluval M60 with no sump but a rear chamber.

Params:
    Alk 7.4
    Cal 420
    Mag 1380
    Nitrate 12
    Phos 0.08
    Ph 8.2
    26 degrees

So we know the phos and nitrates are too high.

12% water change every 10 days - 2 weeks.

I noticed the GWA the day we bought the live rock, it was on there for the start but being completely new to saltwater we had no idea what we were looking for. And since then, it's spread round the tank. We currently have our new tank cycling and trying to make sure no trace of water, rock or anything that could carry this GWA goes in the new tank!

8. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

My 3rd dose of Vibrant went in yesterday. My parameters are as follows (Reefer 350):

SG: 1.026
    PH: 8
    ALK: 8.4
    NH3: 0
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 8ppm
    PO4: .02
    Ca: 482
    Mg: 1600 (Red Sea Kit - always reads 1600)

My GHA algae is gone and my glass is way cleaner.
    2017-10-13 14.34.33.jpg

My cyano persists so I will continue to dose 7.5 ml ever 4 days. So far so good, my NO3 has not gone to zero and Vibrant is as advertised.

Thanks.

Joe

UWC likes this.
  9. TheHarold

TheHarold Well-Known Member

I followed all their instructions, including doubling the dose and such, and it didn't do squat. Not on my main display with some hair algae, a quarantine tank with dinos, nor on a pico that had every pest algae out there.

It is my opinion that if someone sees "good results", it is due to the increased maintenance they do when trying to get rid of the unwanted algae. Vibrant= Placebo.

I bought two bottles, and after using them, consider it to have been a waste.

They claim it gets rid of algae in the display, but will not effect the refugium. Lol.

Background: My display has very low nutrients but has patches of hair algae and tons of annoying geladium.

10. UWC

Sorry to hear that you didn’t like it and it didn’t work for you. I think this long thread has enough proven results shown in it to prove it is not a “placebo affect “ :)

11. l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it Well-Known Member

I have a 65 gallon tank with a good sized Trigger sump. I have approximately 70 gallons of water. I have been using Vibrant since last November. I had bubble algae all over in the overflow, sump, and display tank. I had bubble algae for many years. I'm not sure how long ago it disappeared, but I would guess that all bubble algae was gone before June. So great news there.

As of recently my routine is to change 5 gallons once a week and then follow up with a dose of Vibrant. Also, I am dosing potassium nitrate and trying to keep my nitrates just over 5 ppm. Phosphates have been a bit over .01.

Some other algae have been doing better although recently a few areas have been growing. Will post photos and seek further guidance in the coming days.

UWC likes this.
  12. Newtybar

Newtybar Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Vibrant worked for the most part, but obliterated my giant Chaeto ball (probably 12" by 12") in the fuge.

13. cchomistek

cchomistek Well-Known Member

I am currently bringing my 200 gal aquarium back to where it should be as it has been running for 4 years with basically fowlr. I am working to get my nitrates and phosphates to where they should be with vodka dosing. I am at 8 MLS a day so far.only been at it for 3 weeks. My nitrates are around 50 and phosphates about .12 would I be able to use this in combination with vodka dosing to bring my nitrates and phosphates down and attack the turf algae I have in the tank or would this be a one or the other scenario.

Thanks

14. UWC

Totally fine to use them together :)

15. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

My 5th dose went in today. My algae is all but gone and I am starting to see some progress on my cyano problem. Here is a FTS from today. My tank has never looked this good.

2017-10-23 14.43.57.jpg

UWC and CalebWBrink2000 like this.
  16. CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000 Well-Known Member

I've ordered a bottle to aid in a slight issue I've had. I've been beating back a minor break out of cyano and GHA; I'm hoping Vibrant will deal the final blow. I have quite a few sponges and a BTA, so I plan on dosing it very conservatively to hopefully negate any undesirable consequences. We shall see.

UWC likes this.
  17. UWC

Looking great :)

18. UWC

Good plan. Slow and steady wins the race :)

CalebWBrink2000 likes this.
  19. Deniss

Deniss Well-Known Member

Do you have to keep the bottle in the fridge or just in a cabinet?
    Good shaking before use i assume?

20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Room temperature is fine. I always shake mine but it is probably just force of habit.

Draft saved Draft deleted