Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

Will this kill my good algae? Macro in refugium?

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, it can. If you are dong a maintenance dose of once every other week you should be ok. Otherwise, it will take out algae in the order of the vulnerability. For instance, it will take out Chaeto before it starts to touch Bryopsis.

3. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

What about coralline algae?

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've heard both so I'll need @UWC to answer that one!

UWC likes this.
  5. Deniss

Deniss Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just did my first dose!
    I don't have a skimmer, i do weekly water changes..that's fine right?

6. UWC

UWC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Coralline will be fine unless you are heavy dosing ( 2x per week ) for a extended period :)

Totally fine to use on a skimmerless system. Just make sure to keep up with your water changes and dying algae removal :)

7. MickeysFins

MickeysFins Member

I came upon this thread a few weeks ago during a search for an algae cure like most folks. I got to around page 15 when I decided to give it a try after battling bubble algae and reddish brown "turf" algae plus some other issues with algae on the sand that appeared to be dinos in my 225 display tank. After 6 doses tank looks great. I was traveling for work the week of 10/17, then left for 9 days vacation on 10/20 so no dosing at all those weeks. Came back Saturday and tank still looks good. Glass is still clean and water clear.

I do have two small euphyllia's that don't look too good but other corals, including larger euphyllia's are all fine. I think I lost a serpent star but not sure. The weekend before I left he was out and about though usually he stayed hidden and I would only see his legs occasionally grabbing food. Anyway, when he was out in plane view I could see that his legs were only about 1.5 to 2 inches long when before they were very long. And it was all legs so very consistent. I have to assume it was something in the Vibrance. I haven't seen him at all since so he's either gone or back in hiding. I also have or had a brittle star that I saw even less than the serpent and haven't seen any sign, but haven't seen him in a long time anyway so not sure.

I'm still reading the thread and up to page 50 or so but over 100 pages to go so I thought I'd take a break and provide my results.

I would still recommend this to someone but realize that you take your chances. Everything has a price and sometimes its worth it.

8. puffy127

puffy127 Well-Known Member

I have a GHA outbreak. Phosphate levels are at 0.17 ppm and nitrate levels are 0.2 - 0.5 ppm. Should I start vibrant and at what dose/frequency? I have a mixed reef. Or should I try to lower the phosphates first with phosphate rx?

9. Brew12

Are you running a fuge? Your PO4 is high but your NO3 is very low. That is an unusual combination unless you have a new tank and your rock is leaching phosphate.

What do you have for a CuC?

You could start dosing Vibrant, but if you chose to you would need to add nitrate at the same time to prevent other bacteria related issues.

10. puffy127

I have a ATS which gets pretty full after 5-7 days. Tank is not new, almost 3 years old. Never had GHA issues before. CUC are mostly snails, but there are a few hermits in there too.

11. Brew12

My opinion is that you would be better off adding a little GFO. You may also want to evaluate the foods you are using to make sure nothing is too high in phosphates. How old is your ATS and have you replaced the lights in it recently? Or have you upped your feeding? It sounds like the problem is that your ATS is no longer keeping up with the nutrient additions.

I have 2 concerns recommending Vibrant for your situation. The already low nitrate will open you up to cyanobacteria. Vibrant will also make your ATS less effective and may defeat what you are trying to accomplish. It is indiscriminate and the algae in your ATS may be the first stuff it targets.

12. puffy127

I feed nls pellets twice a day and pe mysis or lrs reef frenzy once a day. The scrubber is a Turbo L2 rev 4, less than a year old, running at max intensity and for 18 hours a day.

13. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

I've dosed Vibrant in my tank for a few months (1 x per 2 weeks) standard dose. Has anyone else experienced their coraline falling off the glass in sheets while dosing vibrant? I really can't complain as my glass is becoming spotless and I never have to clean it, but just was wondering if anyone else experienced this? The coraline isn't actually dying and the rocks/overflows are still covered, but the sheets that fall off the glass seem to get puffy and very slick on the backside, then fall to the sand. Thanks!

14. Second Shot

Second Shot Well-Known Member

I haven’t personally but people in this thread have reported it.

15. Michael Montgomery

Michael Montgomery Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

16. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

SOOOO.....

* Work for FEMA. Been on the road since August. Just got back home
    * Have a dosing pump set up that keeps (well should have) parameters in check.
    * GF has been doing water changes for me (all be it not the normal on point shcedule as when I am home)
    * Been battling bubble algae for quite some time
    * Ill be the first to tell you I have struggled with keeping #'s stable and steady as the system would like.
    * There have been swings in my numbers since I have been gone and my tank is a mess (I am not surprised this is not a "when you feel like it" hobby)

This is going to be my last ditch effort to get this algae under control and get things back on track now that I have more time and am around to give it my full undivided attention thru testing testing testing, dosing correctly, etc.

Typically kept: (and again I know there are swings here as I was doing my best to nail down how much my tank was using and how much to dose)

P04 - 0.01 - 0.05
    No3 - typically around 10 - 25
    alk -- 8.2
    Cal - 450

I have NEVER been able to get rid of this stupid algae and it drives me mad. Been at this hobby a long time (8 years) and for whatever reason can's get rid of it. Also have a fuge with chaeto, run roxx carbon and monitor my feeding. I do NOT over feed.

Pics to follow here but I need this crap gone! ...Just ordered some of this vibrant and gonna give it a whirl!!

17. specialk

Just a mess!
    20171108_115940.jpg 20171108_120024.jpg 20171108_120009.jpg

18. specialk

Also, was dosing acropower ... should I just stop that for now? Am I just wasting that seeing as everything is in such bad shape right now?

19. UWC

UWC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I would absolutely recommend to stop dosing the Acropower for now. Aminos can absolutely fuel algae :)

20. specialk

Thanks I will!

Also, based on my tank shots .. do you think Vibrant may work for this? I am torn between Vibrant, algaefix and Fluconazole

Draft saved Draft deleted