Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. UWC

UWC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Yeah, looks like you’ve got quite a few different algae’s going on. Vibrant will rid them one by one and get things cleaned up. I would recommend starting slow and slowly ramping up your dosing so your tank can adjust :)

2. matic

matic Member

Can I use vibrant with a anti-dinoflagellates product like dinoxal? I'm hoping to kill 90% of the dino's with dinoxal, and kill or keep the rest in controle with vibrant. I also would like to know if dosing vibrant helps restore the bacteriel balance after a dino bloom. Tanks for the help!

3. UWC

I don't think there should be any issues mixing the two. Vibrant is a short lived bacteria, so in short it will not restore bacterial populations :)

4. Violetdasy

Violetdasy Well-Known Member

i just ran out, time to reorder it truly dose work.

UWC likes this.
  5. UWC

Glad to hear you like it :)

6. matic

matic Member

Thanks for the help UWC, I really hope vibrant can help save my reefer 450 from my dino explosion. Lost all my lps and shrimps and still no sign of the dino’s going away... so frustrating.

UWC likes this.
  7. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Keep in mind that Dino's can thrive in low phosphates. If you are using phosphate remover you may want to stop. If you have detectable phosphates and still have dino's I would recommend adding an iron supplement. This will complement the action within Vibrant and clean up Dino's faster.

UWC likes this.
  8. matic

matic Member

Phosphate are now at 0.3, I have started dosing 2 weeks ago and it was 0.00 before. I am going to keep dosing dinoxal but I think the dino’s are winning because the dinoxal doesnt help like the first time I started dosing it.

UWC likes this.
  9. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

If you have 0.3 phosphate and a bad case of dino's the dino's are not winning. The phosphate in your water must be coming from them breaking down and not being removed fast enough. The problem is that if they are not removed fast enough then they break back down into phosphates and fuel new dino's.
    You may be in a situation where you need to add something along the lines of GFO to help remove your phosphates faster.

10. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

I just placed an order. I have a few small patches of cyano and what I think is dino but may be wrong across my sand. Hoping this clears things up.

cgdcinc likes this.
  11. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

Received my order today.

Put in 5ml for my 55 gallon tank on my lunch break.

Now we wait.

My cyano/dyno problem was already beginning to clear up on its own but it comes in waves. This should be a way to keep it from coming back if all goes as planned.

UWC and Violetdasy like this.
  12. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

should I be noticing anything yet? 4 days and the cyano/dyno hasn't really changed. I'm going to dose again on day 7 and 14. I hate to dose any more frequently than that but I'm impatient.

13. Brew12

It depends on the condition of the tank when you started. It can take a few weeks. If you don't have much algae dying off in your tank you can dose 2 times a week.

14. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

I had some gnarly sheets of cyano and a few bits of dyno, possibly just diatoms on top of cyano.

I'll try weekly for a month and up the dose of I see no change.

15. Brew12

What are you showing for NO3 and PO4?

16. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

P04 has been about .25ish in most of my tests. Haven't checked in a bit.

Nitrates have been undetectable on my api test so I ordered a new test and its on the way.

I get an outbreak every time I do a water change fwiw.

17. Brew12

Cyano does well in low NO3 environments. When you get the new test kit I would recommend dosing nitrates into your tank to help elevate those levels.

18. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

I actually had it almost cleared up when i did this before. For some reason, I can't maintain any level of nitrates. I have 6 fish in there and I feed daily. Levels just stay the same but I'm not dosing more nitrate til I have my new test. I'd like to maintain the level around 10.

19. Brew12

It will get easier as the tank matures. My tank is a year old and I still have trouble maintaining nitrates. It gets a little better each month and I am at the point where I don't dose nitrates any longer. Once you get more coral, coralline, pods, worms, and increased biodiversity it will be easier to maintain nitrates.

Jl330 likes this.
  20. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

My dinos are gone from what I can tell. The cyano looks gray/ black now. Not sure what's going on but my corals look happy.

Brew12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted