Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. mcarroll

mcarroll moved on R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

(sorry)

2. High Plains Reefer

High Plains Reefer Member

my tank has been wiped out by velvet (I saved a few fish) I was in the process of tearing it down anyway but there are a few rocks with encrusting corals that I want to save I was thinking about taking them out and putting them in a new setup and leaving it fallow I am already having algae problems would vibrant be good to use to keep the algae in check durring the fallow period?

3. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Is this stuff suppose to raise your No3 and Po4? Last week when I check my No3 it was 0.5ppm, this week it's 1.5ppm. My Po4 was 0.01ppm, this week it's 0.02ppm. I also noticed some stn on my Orange Digitata, the same Digitata I've had for 3 years. Just trying to figure out if it's killing stuff like algae and the dead stuff is putting nutrients back into the water or if I'm starting to get true readings again.

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

Its a complex question. It could be the algae no longer consuming the nitrate and phosphate. It could be the algae breaking down into NO3 and PO4. It could also just be the accuracy range of the test kit. The Vibrant itself has a carbon dosing component so in and of itself it will consume NO3 and to a lesser extent, PO4.

How often are you dosing? If more than 1 a week you may want to cut back.

5. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I’m following the recommendation from them for bubble algae of 2 doses a week at 1ml/10gal. I have 20ish gallon volume in my tank and I just dosed the second dose yesterday.

Edit: I’m using Red Sea Pro test kits.

6. mmw64

mmw64 Well-Known Member

++H
    How long did it take? Were you dosing once a week and using 1mm per gallon?

7. mmw64

mmw64 Well-Known Member

Opps per 10 gallons.

Jason mack likes this.
  8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

If it is causing coral issues just slow down. It will still work, it will just take a little longer.

9. CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019 Active Member

[​IMG]

Will it clean up red algae on my live rock it could also be cyano.

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I’m up over 5ppm for nitrates now and the cyano seems to be a little thinner but it is in more places. I’m also growing hair algae in places it didnt used to be. Why do I feel like I’m going backwards? o_O

CoralReefer1019 and Jason mack like this.
  11. Brew12

That's no good. :(

Are you dosing 2x per week? Vibrant normally knocks hair algae out quickly. The fact it is spreading doesn't make much sense.

12. rushbattle

rushbattle Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I’ve had a similar experience with bubble algae. Actually gained quite a bit of it since I started dosing Vibrant.

13. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Once. I was doing it twice and it made my acans very angry.

Jason mack likes this.
  14. Brew12

Did your nitrates go to zero when you did it?

I went through your build thread and I can't figure out where all your nutrients are coming from. You have a very light fish load unless I am missing something.

Jason mack likes this.
  15. Brew12

I've seen this with algae other than hair algae. Typically the hair algae dies off first and if it isn't removed fast enough it fuels the other algaes until they can be taken out.

Jason mack likes this.
  16. TheEngineer

My nitrates are always zero unless I dose. I’ve been dosing nitrates with the vibrant

17. Brew12

With the way your flow is set up, does it do a good job lifting the detritus off the rocks so it can be taken up into the overflow?

And how large is your CuC?

18. TheEngineer

It could always be better, right? :) The flow is pretty good. I have a pair of jebao wavemakers that run during the day. I also blast the rocks with a sea squirt. CUC is two emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and about 6 pretty large astrae snails.

19. Brew12

Do you have a small powerhead or pump you can point at the rocks to clean them?
    I use one of these (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-mj400-powerhead.html) to blast the crud out of the nooks and crannies of my rock. My problem was high nitrates and I was shocked at how much decaying matter I was able to get out. I ended up buying a small canister filter to help clear the water and had to change filter socks the day after because of how much came out.

I'm not sure if a sea squirt has enough power to lift the stuff out from deeper in the rock.

20. TheEngineer

I’ve got a decade worth of pumps in the basement :) I was planning to do a deep clean of the sump tomorrow so I can hit the rockwork with a mj1200 first and let that fill up the sock while I get everything else ready.

Brew12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted