Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I hope that works for you, because I'm out of ideas!

TheEngineer likes this.

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Thanks. This tank has been one anomaly after another for two years. I was ready to start over when I decided to give this stuff a shot. I’ll probably still wind up going the tear down anyway.

3. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

I have stopped using reef energy a+b and nopox has been off for 4 days, my no3 is at 6ppm and po4 still undetectable, and I still have snot. I feed pe mysis daily and nothing else, should I leave as is? or is there something else I need to be or not need to be doing?. I think it's going to be a long drawn out one this.:(

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Nothing good happens fast! One of the unfortunate truths with this hobby. Even when bad things die out quickly it often causes other problems.

I don't have a good method of dosing PO4 for you to try. I know there are some out there but I have never needed too so am hesitant to make a recommendation. I would give it a few more days and see if it shows signs of improvement. Maybe going lights out for 2 or 3 days to help break the dino's down faster is worth pursuing, too, if you want faster results. I'm not a huge fan of this only because they tend to come back after a blackout. Might be worth it in your situation since you have taken steps to improve. Many people only do the lights out with no other changes only to have the dino's come right back.

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

E267293C-4E89-427A-A630-F1C7668441E9.jpeg Well, I blew the gunk off my rocks today... :eek:

6. Brew12

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

;Doctor

I think you found the source of your excess nutrients. Cyano will form a blanket over this stuff and hog the nutrients without it ever hitting the water.

7. TheEngineer

Timing worked out well. Needed to dip my clownfish and that gave me a 75minute window to blast and filter it out. We shall see if this helps turn the tide.

Brew12 likes this.
  8. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

No worries, I shall just play it out.;Nailbiting
    Something I was thinking of doing was rather than dose 6ml twice weekly was to spread that out over the course of a week, for example 2ml daily, I doubt the extra 2ml per week will hurt but would there be any reason not to do it daily?
    My thoughts there were instead of waiting 3-4 days between doses there would be a smaller daily dose, what would your thoughts be on that? or is there a particular reason why 2 x weekly doses are needed.

9. Brew12

I'm not sure. That is a better question for @UWC

From a carbon dosing perspective this would be fine. I don't know enough about the algaecide portion of Vibrant to give you a good answer.

UWC and tonymacc like this.
  10. JCGSO

JCGSO Member

This is one of the very few products I have tried over 16 years of reefing, that actually worked. I was not expecting much and thought it was expensive, but man did it do the job. I went from cleaning film off the glass every other day, to every 5 days. I also had some brown stringy algae (dinoflagellates?) on my sand bed and covering the back wall of my tank. I kept trying to remove it manually and with lights out for a day or so, but it kept coming back. Now my tank is algae free after a month, with only two weeks of treatment.

jkapit, UWC, tonymacc and 1 other person like this.
  11. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

gives me some hope reading things like this.

UWC and Brew12 like this.
  12. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

You are best off doing one main dose instead of breaking it up into smaller doses :)

tonymacc and Brew12 like this.
  13. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

That is great to hear :)

Brew12 likes this.
  14. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

tonymacc likes this.
  15. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

Oh ffs:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

16. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

Came home today with the tank looking absolutely crap, the worst ever. Gave everything a good dusting off with the baster and made a coffee whilst my water cleared then fed the fish, then proceeded with checking my params, my no3 has dropped from 6 to 2 since Monday:eek:, wft, how can that happen ffs, my nopox is off and has been off since Saturday so the last dose of nopox was 2ml last Friday. Checked my doser and WHO DIDN'T TURN THE DOSER OFF?:mad: so this was my own doing this last week, no wonder I'm not making any headway:(.
    So doser number 4 is set to zero and as an extra measure I have removed the pipes too.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say, hopefully now I can start to see some improvements.

17. Brew12

I know it hasn't been long, but did this help at all?

18. Brew12

Ouch! At least you caught it!

19. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

Ouch indeed.

20. tonymacc

tonymacc Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted